Pump question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollywood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g tank right now with a bio-wheel 330. I just purchased a 90g tank and it has a emperor 400 bio-wheel I beleive. I am in the process of cycling the 90 so I can transfer everything over safely. My question is, is there such thing as a quiet filter/pump? Seems that the 400 is even louder then the 330. Would a filter/pump that is under the tank be any better? If so any recomendation would be great.

I didn't think salt water tanks used bio-wheels?

Either way, a properly set up sump can be made fairly quiet. Much more quiet than a HOB bio-wheel in any case. Plus you get the space to grow some macro algae for nutrient export.

I have a bio wheel on my 29 gallon FOWLR tank. They are OK for small SW tanks IMO. Are you nusing LR in this tank as 1.5 lbs per gallon of LR plus a skimmer is really all you need. I`m also moving this thread to General Hardware and Equipment discussion.

I do have live rock.

Yes i do have LR but I am not sure if it's 1.5lbs per gallon. You mentioned all I would need is a skimmer and live rock? With a "sump" doesn't that do the same job as a skimmer and a filter?

Generally a sump is just a smaller tank used to house a skimmer, refugium, heaters and any other equipment you want to keep out of the line of sight in the tank.
For instance, here's a blatantly stolen diagram of a sump with just about everything you could think of in it.
wp3ae57a37.png

This one has a bit more than most people need or have. Also the first section on the left with the bubbled square in it (a sponge I believe) is where most people would put live rock. Either there or on the miracle mud in the refugium area.

Wow... Thanx. That looks like a diagram for a bomb!! :) I think that is a little more than I would need. All I want to do is reduce the noise level of the filter and skimmer on the back of my tank. I thought maybe a filter system or I guess "sump" that is under the tank would do that but it seems like alot of work for a tight budget.

I have a fluvial 304 on my 55 and I never hear a peep out of it. I also have the fluvial FX5 on my 125 and it is quiet as well. The HOBs are in the open and can sometimes be a little loud. With the canisters you can put them in the stand and work to buffer any noises that you don't like.

The sump does nothing for filtration. It is a place to hold additional water volume, hide unsightly equipment and perhaps grow some macro aglae. The filtration (bio-filter) takes place in the LR. That where the good bacteria that turn ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate live and work. You can then have the protein skimmer in the sump or connected to it. The PS removes dissolved organics from the water. Macroalgae is used to reduce nitrates and phosphates that are left in the water column.

A sump can be a pretty simple affair of a 10 -20 gallon tank with a few sections in it seperated by baffles.

EHEIM!... I'm still using my 2317 classic after over 10 years of 24/7 straight use, NEVER had to replace a single part and it is INCREDIBLY quiet. In fact, sometimes I have to put my hand in front of the output spray bar in the tank just to see that it's still on.

Back
Top Bottom