pump questions...need some help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

02tts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
wondering what pumps are suggested based on experience...

I have a 265 fish only and have a little giant 4-MDQX-SC running my return which I'm not happy about at all do to noise and heat transfer...(it's also underpower because I'm splitting into

I've been doing some extensive research and I've narrowed it down to either a Panworld, Blueline (which I believe are the same) or a Reeflo, with Reeflo being the most expensive but its also my understanding that they are extremely quiet and provide almost no heat transfer...only thing, of course is that its a direct drive, there is a shaft and therefore there are seals to worry about...

That being said, what would you folks recommend based on your experience and setup, in terms of noise, heat and reliability...

I only use the mag pumps. They are excellent quality and meet all my needs to my tank. I use two of them for my returns. I use a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 . IMO they are the best.

I too think that Panworld and Blueline are the same. I'm pretty sure they use the same pump, just branded differently. I have a Blueline and it's silent.

well...so I replaced both my little giants, one that was running my skimmer and one that was running my return, and I must say not only I'm happy with the minimal heat transfer but the noise, oh boy, the noise is gone - I close the cabinet doors and the coralife plastic fan is the loudest thing and about the only thing you can hear now..well worth the money, as it was not cheap and a headache, boy was switching things a headache because I had to redo all the inlet and outlet plumbing on the return pump because of the inlet size diff. - even though I still reduced it to 1", to not force the pump and to optimize fow and minimize friction, etc..I had to do it right out of the wet/dry outlet.

well, for those inquiring about pumps, switching pumps, noise levels, heat transfer, etc...here is my before and after:

BEFORE (little giant 3MDQX-SC and 4MDQX-SC)

nothing running water is at 79 degrees during the day
85.5 to 86 degrees with the lights on
84-84.5 with ligthts off

AFTER:

nothing running water is at 79 degrees during the day
81-82 with lights on
80 to 81 with the lights off
PLUS twice the flow, less noise and as you can see virtually no heat transfer into the water

Only external fans are one on top of the canopy sucking out hot hair and one in the botto cabinet sucking out hot air as the cabiner and canopy are completely sealed pieces.

Since I run a fish only tank, this is perfect and I no longer have to comtemplate getting a chiller which I refuse to do, one of the many reasons why I won't do a reef tank, even thought they are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom