Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
pump replacement

So I'm kind of a newbie at SW but I bought a really nice, already established 60 gallon from a guy and have had the tank now for 4 months, i have a picasso trigger, percula clown, coral beauty angel, and a blue damsel. In addition to the fish I have 60 lbs of live rock, live sand, and about 6 pieces of various types of coral. The filtration system on the tank is contained in the back wall of the aquarium and I dont really know what that type of system would be called but it starts on the left with a built in protein skimmer and intake and goes down a shaft and back up through the section which has bio-balls and a sponge filter, it then goes to the bottom of another chamber which has a rio 1400 pump that pumps the water up an 8 inch tube and back into the aquarium. about a week ago the pump broke, I took it apart and discovered the impeller had broken and was freaking out but ended up having a smaller impeller which fit but now does not pump out as much as before, which in turn doesnt have as good circulation like it did before. I found the impeller online for $10-15 but I am wanting to just replace the entire pump. I was thinking of getting a Rio Hyper-flow professional grade pump and was thinking of getting the Rio 8HF which supplies 550 GPH and was wondering if that was too much water being circulted and if it might be too strong? the pump before provided about 375-400 GPH I think and was wondering if that increase would have water flowing outthe top of my aquarium? It may be a really stupid question but I wanted to make sure before I bought one, the next level down on the Rio Hyper-Flow only provides 350 GPH. Also if anyone knows where would be the cheapest place to buy the pump that would be very helpful! I found it on drsfostersmith.com for 31.99 and that seems to be one of the cheapest prices. here is a link to the type of filter I am referring to purchasing:

TAAM Inc., Aquarium Products. Pumps: Rio Hyper Flow

Thanks, Tyler

lucpierre2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Merged both threads together. Please dont double post same threads in different forums. Causes an untidy site. Thanks for understanding.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

60 gallon, pump, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com