pump size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

land locked

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have found formulas for watts of lighting per gallon, pounds of sand per gallon and inches of fish per gallon, but I am unable to find a formula for the pump/gallons per hour. I have a 72 gallon bow front with a 20 gallon refugium. I plan to have a reef tank, so I know how important a good flow is but is there too much flow?
My husband I are are also debating the external V.S. internal pump. He thinks an external pump is not necessary. I have been reading that some of you have 4 pumps. Do you need one at different places or will just one big one do. Some pumps do not allow for flow change, making size even more important, so where do I turn. Thanks for any advice.

I have a 46g with a mag 7 pump I would suggest a mag9 for a 72 gallon for the return pump from the fuge. Even a mag7 would be ok for a return pump just make sure the overflow is rated for the size of return pump you get. Ideally you want to shoot for 10-20 tank turnover per hour. I believe a Mag9 is rated at 900gph with a rating loss for head height. Probably more like 700gph. 10-20 tank turnover on a 72g is 720-1440GPH of flow so a Mag9 and 2 decent powerheads and you should be good to go. Many aquarists dont have return pumps at all because of no sump. And have only powerheads as long as there is decent flow in the tank you'll be fine. IMO too much flow is when the fish can't keep up with the current then you would want to slow it down a bit.

On a side note for administrators. when I typed this post in the first time on the 0 in the 20 for some reason an alien pointing middle fingers showed up why did that happen???

WOW, good thing I asked. We were looking at about 6 times turn over. I am still a bit confused about the powerhead I thought if you had a strong enough pump flow you would not need a powerhead. Your mag 7 is an internal pump? I read somewhere that if you have an external pump it takes up less bioload space. I have only one overflow will that change anything? You stated "slow it down a bit" how do you do that?

If I aim for a 1000 gph do you think that would eliminate most of those questions?

Don't go overboard on the pump. You said you have 1 overflow? What is it rated for? If you get a pump that does 1000 gph and your overflow can only drain 300 gph, you will end up with a dry sump and overflowing tank. You can use a ball valve to slow down the pump, but then why get such a strong pump if you don't need it and have to throttle it back?

If you use an external pump, you have to drill the sump and install a bulkhead to get water out of the sump and into the pump.

I do not see where it is rated. It is a MegaFlow by All Glass with 1" and 3/4" bulkheads. So, I have a Surge+ that came with the tank M-3000 its max flow is only 675gph. That won't be enough right?

wrong spot

Would it be possible to move this whole thread to the sw startup forum. I have been posting in the wrong section all this time. Sorry, this is the first time I have ever used this format before.

I do not see where it is rated. It is a MegaFlow by All Glass with 1" and 3/4" bulkheads. So, I have a Surge+ that came with the tank M-3000 its max flow is only 675gph. That won't be enough right?
According to this site the MegaFlow by All Glass is rated 600gph I think not sure if this is what you have Aquariums Are you referring to the return pumps flow rate of 675gph??

Also Powerheads are great to have in addittion to the return pump You can point the powerhead to pinpoint flow patterns in your tank. Or point 2 at each other to create a chaotic flow pattern. Also You want to point some flow toward the top surface of your tank to create ripple for oxygen exchange.

Last edited:
That is it and that is where I bought it. So if the over flow only can handle 600gph and I need 720-1440GPH flow for my 72 gallon tank for a reef tank, I am in big trouble!!!!

You need a return pump that is rated for 600gph or less at 5 feet of head height. You then want a couple of power heads inside the tank to increase the flow within the tank.

Is your refugium actually a sump sitting under the tank or is it a hang on back or other true refugium?

Do you have a protein skimmer?
How much live rock do you have?

You want to create a chaotic water flow through the tank so you have areas of higher flow and areas of lwoer flow. Some corals need high flow, some need low flow.

Have a look at Melev's site for sump/refugium answers

No your not at all in big trouble. You just want a return pump that is rated to match up with your overflow the rest can be supplemented with powerheads for flow. I you go with a Mag7 after head height it should match up to your overflow, Someone else would have to chime in on that as I am not 100% sure. Then get yourself 1 or 2 hydor koralia 3's Hydor Koralia 3 - 850GPH - Water Pumps & Powerheads > Powerheads/Hydor The hydor koralia's have high flow ratings IMO there flow is pretty mellow.

Here is a chart for determining flow based on head height Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 7 700 GPH Water Pump (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Water Pumps > Submersible > 500-1000 GPH )

Last edited:
I'll move this to the General Hardware/Equipment section.

It is a sump with divided sections with a slotted container for bio balls and one half wall thing (Oceanic Brand I think). When I was reading over the last couple of months I liked the most natural method. So when I bought the sump/refugium that is what I thought I was doing and I have been calling it a refugium but now I think it is truely a sump (not sure). After reading in Aquarium Advice for the last couple of days I think I will also build a plastic tub sump and then still have the refugium too.
Protein Skimmer is not purchased yet. We will be getting it when we go back down to Denver to purchase the LR and now rubble too. The LFS guy said I did not need a protein skimmer with a refugium. I have learned here that is not true.
My husband is finishing up the stand which has some room under it, but everything is being plumbed into an empty storage room behind the wall it will sit against. He is pretty handy that way. The plumbing does have us confused though. I did not want to have much equipment(powerheads) in the main tank. Just a personal thing, I don't like the look and I don't want it to take up bio space because it is only a 72 gallon tank. I have resigned to the fact that we will most likely be getting powerheads too while in Denver. Because I have the room which we are now calling the fish room. We have plenty of space for all of that extra stuff. Our plan it to have lots of corals so we have been looking at all of the galleries with equipment set up for ideas.
I am very frustrated with the FS guy, bad advice.

Back
Top Bottom