Pump Size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripseven

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,

I have a 120 gal (48x24x24) tank and just getting started to gather equipment for a reef setup.

Im planning on 30/40 gal sump/fuge and wondering what size pump I need for this. I will be using T5 lighting if that matters.

Thx in advance,

Clint

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

I have a 125 reef tank and have a 40 gallon refuge. I use two return pumps. A mag 12 and a mag 9.5. I guess as far as lighting what type corals do you plan on having? And BTW welcome to AA

Last edited:
Is this a reef ready tank or are you getting a HOB overflow? You will need to match the pump to the overflow rating.

I have the same sized tank and I push about 2000gph through my overflows. It all depends on how you are going to have it set up.

The pumps that Mike mentioned are excellent.

Thanks Ziggy. Its reef-ready and the pump match makes sense :n00b:.

I didnt see "the pumps that Mike mentioned." Could I trouble you for a link to that post please?

Thanks again,

Clint

Whoops...Melosu58 must be Mike with the Mag pump duh!!!

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

I have a 125 reet tank and have a 40 gallon refuge. I use two return pumps. A mag 12 and a mag 9.5. I guess as far as lighting what type corals do you plan on having? And BTW welcome to AA

This will be my first salt & reef tank so Im going with low/med light corals perhaps higher up in the tank. Think it will work? And thanks for the welcome!

Clint

The 120 is deeper and I`m thinking it wont be enough to penetrate to the corals. Maybe if you have the corals up top of the LR.

The 120 is deeper and I`m thinking it wont be enough to penetrate to the corals. Maybe if you have the corals up top of the LR.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I have a choice between T5 HO with four 54w bulbs or Coralife lunar aqualight with four 65w bulbs. Would you know which is best for reef?

Thanks,

Clint

I`m not up on those lights. Are either one of those with individual reflectors?

I would go with the T5HO any day of the week over PC lighting.

The T5s will penetrate much deeper in the tank and give you the option for some leathers, zoas mushrooms and maybe some LPS corals. T5 bulbs will last at least twice as long as PC bulbs, they don't get as hot and you have more color temp options.

Melosu58, both fixtures are a four-bulb fixture w/single reflector.

Ziggy953, as I read more and more Im finding the T5 HO to penetrate better than PC as you mentioned. I like the idea they last longer, stay cooler, and more color temps.

Im thinking the wattage isnt as important as penetration and spectrum, and wondering if there is a significant difference with 216w-PC vs 260w-T5HO in regards to wattage/penetration?
Im trying to stay away from MH due to their bulk, heat, and possibly price, which I havent checked yet.

Regards

OK...I took the plunge and got both T5 and PC lighting for a total of 476w.

Any suggestions on bulbs? Fixtures came with the following:

T5
2 54w Daylight
2 54w Actinic

PC
2 65w True Actinic 03 Blue
2 65w 10000k Daylight
4 3/4w Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

I have seen somewhere online there are reflectors that snap onto the T5 bulbs but didnt see them for the PC. Any AA members out there had good results using these?

Clint

Back
Top Bottom