Pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a question what should be more should my return pump for the sump I'm building pump more water than the overflow bring in or the other way around I know you should match them as close as possible but if one happens to be a little more or a little less which one should it be I hope you can understand this as you can see I'm not very good at explaining things l

I don't think it works like that. I think what ever your pump puts out is what the over flow will bring in.

All ok so I have two DIY PVC 1" overflow according to the Internet they each will put around 600 gph so that 1200 gph right so how many gph should my return pump be should it be around 1200 gph or what should it be

I have a 75 gallon DT and I made a sump refugium out of a 55 i want to put the sump in the basement that means I would have to pump the water back up around 9 or 10 feet any suggestions would be appreciated thank you

How do I size a water pump? First, you need to determine how many gallons per hour you will need your pump to produce. Next, determine the head height. The head height is the distance between the pump and the highest point the water will be pumped to. Using these two figures, refer to a flow chart for the specific brand of pump that you are interested in, and choose the model that delivers the GPH you need at the appropriate head height. Next, you will need to make an adjustment to the size of the pump to compensate for restrictions that are placed on the pump. These restrictions include: elbows or sharp turns in your plumbing, in-line canister filters, and smaller-than-recommended outlet tubing. Typically, purchasing a pump that is one size larger than the model that you decided on in step one will allow for the normal restrictions caused by bends and elbows in the plumbing. However, if an in-line canister filter is being used, you may want to step up two models to compensate for this large amount of restriction. In either case, we recommend to install a ball valve on the outlet side of the pump so the water flow can be turned down if too large of a pump was installed. In other words, you can always turn down the water flow with too powerful of a pump, but you cannot increase the water flow if the pump you purchased is too small.

I found this article to better help . I would recommend a mag drive md 9.5 or the md 12.

I have a 75 gallon DT and I made a sump refugium out of a 55 i want to put the sump in the basement that means I would have to pump the water back up around 9 or 10 feet any suggestions would be appreciated thank you

That's to far to pump water even the biggest pond pump can only pump 12ft max

You will be lucky if a pump the size you need will be able to pump over 8ft

As for turnover that all depends on the fish you keep and how messy they are a Oscar tank will need a higher turnover than a guppy tank

I turn my tank over 12 x per hour so I turn over a total of 12,000 gal per hour

I feel most big tanks should turn over a min of 8 x per hour

When I first set my tank set up I got 4 x 50mm drains put in just to be safe and that was a good thing as I only intended on turning over 5,000 gal per hour but thing changed and I needed more flow

Get bigger over flow pipes than you need

The bigger pipes mean more water can fit diwn it faster. 1 inch PVC only can hold so much water. Like think if you had a section of 1 inch PVC that was just 6 inches long and had a cap on one end like a cup. And u dip it in the water. It wouldn't hold as much water as a 6 inch section of 2 inch PVC. Kinda like that except different. Get it?

Yeah I got it get water to the sump faster which means more water. thank you

I would have 2 overflows and 2 returns one of each at each end you get better flow that way

Ok I'm sorry but I'm not following you I do have two 1" DIY PVC over flow that will drain into the sump I don't understand about one of each end do you mean two separate return pumps in the sump instead of one sorry this is all new to me

You can run two return pipes of one pump you just use a T AND ONE FLOW TAP ON EACH RETURN

Back
Top Bottom