Pumps/ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking to replace all the pumps in my main tank. I am not happy with the flow nor turn over. As a result, I have read a couple good reviews about Iwaki pumps. However, I do not have the room for an external pump. As a result, I am leaning toward a RIO 26HF. This is rated at 1350GPH @ 4'. MY current RIO 3100 (Which is probably as old as the tank) is rated at 690GPH at 4'. So many discussions about turnover, I would be moving from approx 8 times / hr to about 16 times / hr. I am concerned about the effects of the stronger return on my tank, considering it will probably blow little nemo away, but I don't see an alternative. Anyone use the RIO HF series? Any input is welcomed..I am also going to replace my old 402's with a pair of Seio M620's ( http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idProduct=TA3711 ). They have an interesting approach to water flow. Anyone have these are experience with these?

TIA

The 620's are nice but tend to quick working due to Ca buildup on the shaft. They do move water even though if you put your hand in front, it does not feel like it. Might consider an 820. Most people on RC like them better than the 620.

Only Rio I have ever owned was very loud. Ever consider a Mag?

I have examined all pumps on the marinedepot site. Danner's seem as good as any, but what I liked about the Seio's is that they are designed a little different. I am not sure about using the 820's, seems a pair of those would cause way too much current in the tank considering the RIO upgrade. I don't like the idea of them conking out but thats what I am dealing with now. My old powerheads are tough to get restarted. I am also looking seriously at replacing the overflow. The one I have would (Should) keep up with the RIO, but I am looking at the CPR 102. Anyone use the CPR overflows? I read the PDF and they seem to be a pain to setup, but there doesn't seem to be a big market for overflows..Maybe I should get into acrylic!..

Thanks!

My preference is a U tube overflow. My recommendation for the Mag Drives was to replace the Rio return pump.

I see. Why Mag Drive for Sump return over RIO? Preference or is there some tangable diff? lower power requirements? I'll have to check the stats ; )

Back
Top Bottom