Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Purchase tanks in preparation?

I am currently cycling my first ever tank. A 29 gallon FW tank. As nuts as it sounds, I'm already enjoying it even without the fish. The noise helps me sleep, I love watching the water etc. Weird I know.

Anyways, people are dumping tanks in my area like the plague. Rather cheap too. 30 gallons for $20, 55 gallons for $50-$75, 45 gallons and some hex shapes for $75-$100.

Anyways I was considering picking up a 30-55 gallon and starting a second tank already (not 100% on FW or SW yet, I'd love a SW tank).

These prices good for those tanks? I could technically get a 30-55 gallon tank, filter, heater, and aeration equipment all for under $150 easily. Decorations as well. If I go SW I'd need the live rock as well.

Guess I'm just thinking outloud to myself wondering if I should grab one up.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those are actually good prices, I would get the one that best suits my needs if it was me

Old 09-26-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't know a ton about salt water tanks though. But I really want to keep it 30 or 45 gallons.

Guess more and more reading. I'm up to par on the fresh water and all the chemical reactions.

I assume salt water is a totally new ball game though and probably all new hardware. Not just normal filter, aerator, heater.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
come get me tang police!

Hex tanks are usually overpriced and not really worth the money unless you are tight on space and it fits your decor. Even a large one can leave you limited on stocking because fish need horizontal space more than vertical space in most cases.

If you can get a complete 55g in working order for under $100 you are doing very well. You may also consider looking for a tank that is already running so you can use some of the filter media to instantly cycle your other tank.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Hex tanks are usually overpriced and not really worth the money unless you are tight on space and it fits your decor. Even a large one can leave you limited on stocking because fish need horizontal space more than vertical space in most cases.

If you can get a complete 55g in working order for under $100 you are doing very well. You may also consider looking for a tank that is already running so you can use some of the filter media to instantly cycle your other tank.
My only concern is that what if they have an unhealthy tank? Would using their media do more harm than good?

Is a 30 gallon big enough for a SW tank?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

There is a nice working 45 gallon with a nice stand with cabinets for $100 as well. Hmm

Also a fully working 55 with a solid wood stand, hood, lights, etc for $120.

Just not sure I'd have room for one that big. But don't want to get into a 30 SW tank and find it just impossible to keep it good.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerb7

My only concern is that what if they have an unhealthy tank? Would using their media do more harm than good?

Is a 30 gallon big enough for a SW tank?
Its a risk,but worth it. Its not much different than getting fish or plants from somewhere.

Idk anything about sw.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can do a 30 gallon tank but if you have the room and money get larger since there is more room for error. Evaporation can cause a big swing in saliniity in a small tank and you might have to top off with fresh water twice a day. Also there is more stocking options in a large tank.

All of my tanks have been bought used I asked if they were reef tanks since I didn't want to take a chance and use a tank they had used copper in

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com