Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Purchasing soon

Today or tomorrow I will be purchasing almost everything other than fish to start cycling my freshwater aquarium. This will be my first aquarium, so is there anything I need to know before I purchase??

Old 01-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpod View Post
Today or tomorrow I will be purchasing almost everything other than fish to start cycling my freshwater aquarium. This will be my first aquarium, so is there anything I need to know before I purchase??

First thing that many, if not all of us here will agree upon is, come here first to discuss things before relying on your LFS. They're generally not the best source of information.

Here's a good read pertaining to getting started. Go thru this and don't be afraid to ask tons of questions.

Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Old 01-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #3

Should I add the substrate and decorations before or after cycling?
Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can cycle the tank with substrate and decorations in it.
I just set up a 75 gal tank on 12/24. I have the substrate and a few plants in it. I added a bottle of Safe Start and a day later I added 6 black skirt tetra fish to help cycle the tank. They're a hardy fish. I check the ammonia level every day. Be sure to rinse the substrate before putting it in the tank.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put everything in the tank, sit back and look at it. You'll decide you don't like it as soon as you put water in and rearrange everything, lol. Make sure one of the things you get is a liquid test kit. The test strips are JUNK !!!!

You can use http://www.liveaquaria.com/?t=1&ref=...d=PPC-G-B-4395 as a source for ideas and a compatibility guide (left side of page) and http://aqadvisor.com/ as reference for comparing stock levels and filtration.

Keep us posted and somebody is always around here to answer any questions.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #6

thanks soo much!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome! Its a great hobby.

Buy everything you need to get started. This includes heater, tank, filter (get higher than required, you wont be sorry), lighting, and gravel/sand. You can buy a few plants or rocks, but they arent needed for cycling. Put it all together, throw some Prime water conditioner in (best brand) and wait it out. It can take a LONG time to fishless cycle. My tank took 2 months and I dosed with pure ammonia. They also make Tetra Safestart which is the ONLY bacteria in a bottle that works and trust me, I tried most on the market.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #8

Do I need a bubble wand?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpod View Post
Do I need a bubble wand?
No, they are unnecessary as long as you are getting surface agitation from your filter. You can get them if you like the way they look but I personally don't.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
No, they are unnecessary as long as you are getting surface agitation from your filter. You can get them if you like the way they look but I personally don't.

Dallas is correct in regards to surface agitation and personal preference. On the other side, it's one of those items that could be useful in the chance you have to treat for ich using the heat method. That would also bring up another point now that if you're making up a list of things and you're going to the big box store that's having the $1/gal sale, I would highly recommend getting a separate QT/hospital tank. Depending on the size fish you're wanting to keep, would dictate the size QT to have. Usually a 10 would be fair but if you can do a 20 I think it's much better.

Tags
chasing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com