Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glock26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've heard a little about this. But everything I've heard is great. I see it's also rechargeable. If it does work so great Why doesn't it come with filters or more popular? Was thinking of getting some. What's your thoughts?

I've heard a little about this. But everything I've heard is great. I see it's also rechargeable. If it does work so great Why doesn't it come with filters or more popular? Was thinking of getting some. What's your thoughts?

I like it, I assume it works... That being said, unless you're very good with filter maintenance (one of my bad habits is I am not a proliferate filter cleaner) than it will just "fill up" and continue to not do its intended job.

As for keeping the water nice and clean, I now just stick with filter floss I replace once a week, by then it is usually completely brown with crud, I cut a new piece to size and add it in. Keeps my water visually clean anyway. Purigen would likely do the same if I kept it charged up.

As for filters coming with it, Seachem owns the right to Purigen, so I assume they would want a chunk of money from filter companies for using the product. Plus filter companies spend loads of money engineering their own media so it wouldn't make sense to just toss those assets away in favor of the Purigen. Also, filter companies will advertise their carbon pads/activated carbon as a replaceable/disposable item, where as Purigen is not, so there is a source of revenue for filter companies.

Its not expensive product. Really no need to recharge it.

Yup, I feel it is worth it.

You could always buy a bulk container and use a bag to hold it. I don't want it getting loose in my tank so I just buy the 100 ml pouch size, as my tanks are mostly smaller sized. I have not recharged any just toss out, but they seem to last a very long time.

I have read that this is good at removing tannins, but how else will this affect my water chemistry?

Hmm this sounds like something I am going to have to seriously consider, assuming it ships to Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm this sounds like something I am going to have to seriously consider, assuming it ships to Canada

every canadian supplier I have come across sells it

also, amazon.ca -- any size you want free shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
Did end up getting purigen. Unbelievable the difference. Water is clearer then I thought possible.

Someone told me Puigen diminish the buffering capacity of substrate. Is this true?

Someone told me Puigen diminish the buffering capacity of substrate. Is this true?

From Seachem themselves:

"Using Purigen will not have any impact on the benefits of peat. While Purigen will remove the color bodies, unlike carbon and other chemical filtration medias, it does not remove trace minerals. So, you can use Purigen without loosing the pH buffering ability and the trace elements produced by the peat. However, because it will remove the color bodies, the water would be fairly clear and Purigen would not be the product to use if you were seeking a blackwater look to the tank. "

and

" Purigen is an organic scavenging resin that remove nitrogenous waste at an unbelievable rate. It does not remove any other elements such as metals, trace elements, or nutrients from the water column. It removes nitrogenous waste before it can convert into ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It has such great capacity for organics, that it has become known as a "protein skimmer in a bag"! It also does a fantastic job at removing tannins and color bodies from the water. "

From Seachem themselves:

"Using Purigen will not have any impact on the benefits of peat. While Purigen will remove the color bodies, unlike carbon and other chemical filtration medias, it does not remove trace minerals. So, you can use Purigen without loosing the pH buffering ability and the trace elements produced by the peat. However, because it will remove the color bodies, the water would be fairly clear and Purigen would not be the product to use if you were seeking a blackwater look to the tank. "

and

" Purigen is an organic scavenging resin that remove nitrogenous waste at an unbelievable rate. It does not remove any other elements such as metals, trace elements, or nutrients from the water column. It removes nitrogenous waste before it can convert into ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It has such great capacity for organics, that it has become known as a "protein skimmer in a bag"! It also does a fantastic job at removing tannins and color bodies from the water. "
Thanks a lot. Very helpful. I will order mine then. Just one thing please. I have a hang on the back filter and that doesn't have any carbon. It only has filter media. Do I need to add purigen with filter media inside filter?

Thanks a lot. Very helpful. I will order mine then. Just one thing please. I have a hang on the back filter and that doesn't have any carbon. It only has filter media. Do I need to add purigen with filter media inside filter?

I'm not sure of your question... you put Purigen in the filter, typically where it can be easily removed for rinsing and recharging. It does not matter whether or not there is other media in the filter, as long as the Purigen physically fits and received enough water flowing over/through it.

I'm not sure of your question... you put Purigen in the filter, typically where it can be easily removed for rinsing and recharging. It does not matter whether or not there is other media in the filter, as long as the Purigen physically fits and received enough water flowing over/through it.
Thanks. Another question. I use Bacter AE powdered food for my Shrimps tank which creates a biofilm for shrimps to graze on. Will Purigen have any effect on Bacter Ae?

Don't think it will have a negative effect. I'm not a chemist though. I'm using Purigen on my PRL tank. Not yet the bacter. But biofilmy should develop either way. Longer time to create with no supplement.

Back
Top Bottom