Purigen Article

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow Floyd...nice read...

However, I almost agree with the poster above me...it almost makes me not want to use Purgien (as much as I want to!) unless I don't go the recharging route because this looks just so...my G-d...daunting.

Doing all of what you detail in that link would simply seem to be too much for me just to recharge this media supplement; I'd rather just rebuy the product...

I want to drop some Purigen in my new AquaClear 110, but strictly for water-polishing purposes -- does this stuff really get the water so clean it's almost transparent?

..it almost makes me not want to use Purgien (as much as I want to!) unless I don't go the recharging route because this looks just so...my G-d...daunting.

Doing all of what you detail in that link would simply seem to be too much for me just to recharge this media supplement; I'd rather just rebuy the product...

I think I need to edit the article then. It is really, REALLY simple if you have the 100mL bag. Like stupid easy.

If you have a larger tank or want lots of filtration, like I have 500mL in 2 Bags in my 55 canister, then re-buying it every 6-9 months is not an option (for me)

Floyd... i hope you are getting some kickbacks from Seachem! sheesh! after the past week of discussions about this stuff, ive actually gone out and am now running it in my canister. After about 24hrs you can actually see a difference in water clarity...

with that said, im absolutely NOT looking forward to the recharging process... my wife is going to kill me with buckets of bleach and powerheads sitting around the kitchen for 2 or so days in our apartment!! oh well....

Question: Since it takes 2 or so days to completely recharge, do you have 2 "sets" on hand? or do you just disassemble your canister 2 days after a cleaning to put it back in?

I use it and LOVE it. Recharging is no big deal at all! My PH doest swing either, but I have approx 100g of water so that helps.

very nice article. Thank you. Frequently activated carbon is replaced on a monthly basis anyways so waiting 6 months to change the Purigen = more time for me.

Is there a reason why you must use Prime versus another dechlorinator? They seem to do the same thing, unless Prime dissolves bleach as well.

im absolutely NOT looking forward to the recharging process... my wife is going to kill me with buckets of bleach and powerheads sitting around the kitchen for 2 or so days in our apartment!! oh well....

You don't have to use a 5g bucket for the rinse part, that's just what I do. You could use a 5 qt one from Ace Hardware and just let it soak and rinse it and change the water a few times. I just do that because I can.

Question: Since it takes 2 or so days to completely recharge, do you have 2 "sets" on hand? or do you just disassemble your canister 2 days after a cleaning to put it back in?

I just take it out and recharge it, then put it back in the next time I do a PWC, so it's out for a week

Is there a reason why you must use Prime versus another dechlorinator? They seem to do the same thing, unless Prime dissolves bleach as well.

It's what Seachem suggests. They say that if you use a product that has a slime/stress coating, it can foul the beads and they may not work right. They know that Prime works, but they don't say what other products will also work, nor should they, because what if another product they 'approved' changed their ingredients?

Floyd... i hope you are getting some kickbacks from Seachem! sheesh!

I got 500mL bottles of Flourish Comp, Flourish Excel, Flourish Potassium, Stability, Prime, 3 x 100mL bags of Purigen, 2 x "The Bag", 40 root tabs, and I think that was it. So yeah...

after the past week of discussions about this stuff, ive actually gone out and am now running it in my canister. After about 24hrs you can actually see a difference in water clarity...

It works, and fast, doesn't it?

With regards to the "kickback" comment...

I got 500mL bottles of Flourish Comp, Flourish Excel, Flourish Potassium, Stability, Prime, 3 x 100mL bags of Purigen, 2 x "The Bag", 40 root tabs, and I think that was it. So yeah....

:confused:

Are you actually saying that Seachem "gifted" you with those items to write an article for our forum?

With regards to the "kickback" comment...

:confused:

Are you actually saying that Seachem "gifted" you with those items to write an article for our forum?
I believe he got the free stuff for bringing to their atttention the problem with their original process for recharging it. Clik on the link in the first page and it will take you to his article. Heres where he mentions it.

I do this to ensure that it doesn’t throw off the pH in the tank you put it in. This is what happened to me before they changed their directions. There used to be an extra step for FW to soak in Acid Buffer or Discus Buffer, and when I put a 100mL bag in my 10g after recharging, it tanked the pH. I brought it to their attention and they duplicated the process I went through and verified it, then changed the label and I got a bunch of free stuff.

I don't need purigen and don't generally use the type of filtration that allows you to use it. I also don't want to spend the time to regenerate, easy as it is. It really isn't necessary to use it so I will pass. More power to you if it turns your crank. Personally, I am trying to simplify everything, and using Purigen would be a step backwards.

I agree, if you don't have a water clarity or pollution issue, and you don't use carbon, then there's no need for it. Most fall into one of those categories, sometimes it's maintenance related though.

As far as filtration goes, you can put it anywhere that allows water to flow over/through it. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to use it, but just to clarify in case someone else has the same thought. I didn't want my article to be about how or why to use Purigen, just a how-to for regenerating it...

I think I need to edit the article then. It is really, REALLY simple if you have the 100mL bag. Like stupid easy.

If you have a larger tank or want lots of filtration, like I have 500mL in 2 Bags in my 55 canister, then re-buying it every 6-9 months is not an option (for me)

That writeup sure didn't make it seem easy -- in the least bit -- but I do applaud your effort in putting it together.

For me, I need to just begin with a bag of this stuff for my new AquaClear.

If you use the 100mL bag, it's basically this:

Pour in 50/50 bleach/water & stir. Let sit for 24 hours
Rinse a lot
Pour in prime and water & stir. Let sit for 24 hours.
Rinse a lot
Rinse a lot more
Keep rinsing.
Soak in water for another day, stirring occasionally.
Rinse again
Done

Maybe that should have been my article!!!

Back
Top Bottom