So I constructed myself a media reactor for Purigen using a long water bottle and a few other things I had laying around. It works/worked great and I had it in my DIY hob
overflow/siphon box. It's been working wonderful for about ten days or so. Today I noticed that there was no flow going through it. Upon checking it out I discovered that the silicone seal I made (used a small funnel siliconed into the cap of the bottle covered with mesh)
had come loose and it slipped down, releasing Purigen into the overflow box, and some of it had been sucked up by the pump.
Those little beads will stop an impeller on a dime!
So as I was carefully taking the assemblage out, it shifted and more Purigen poured out!!!
Man that stuff flows like water and gets EVERYWHERE......
so now I have about a half inch layer of Purigen in the bottom of the siphon box, and the filter sleeve in there is literally covered with it.
Luckily it either sinks right down into the substrate or floats and is quickly picked up by the skimmer, and the fish don't eat it. (yes, some got in the tank)
So word of warning for you users of Purigen, handle with care, that stuff gets EVERYWHERE!
it's even in my keyboard