Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Purigen question

I am gonna be adding driftwood that's been soaking for a few weeks to my tank soon, night before I stock it probably another week. It's pretty much leeching very minimal tannins at this point. If it dis colors my water any I'll be adding a pack of purigen to my hob filter, where in the filter should I place it? I have a penguin bio wheel and what's the average life of it before it needs to be recharged or replaced? It's a 20 gallon tank with a 200gph filter. Thanks!

Thepokerkid227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
It should be placed after the "mechanical" filtration

I asked a similar question from Seachem support. Here is the link

Pruigen and Matrix in a Aqua-Tech 30-60 Filter - Seachem Support Forums

So long as you don't put it in front where it could get clogged with debris, you are going to be fine.

On the aqua-tech which I recently retired, I ended up making a floss in biobag pre-filter so the water in the "dirty water chamber" was already free from debris. Then I started putting Purigen & Matrix in there ... then 100 micron polishing pads for really crystal clear water.

I now use Fluval C series filters in both tanks and I put two 100ml "bags" in the lieu of carbon in the 2nd ("chemical") filtration chamber.

Paul1792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have floss that takes out the big particulate stuff, then matrix, then purigen, then a 50 micron polishing pad in each of my filters on my 56 gallon FW tank. The water is crystal clear.

You may need to "recharge" the purigen a little more often, just keep an eye on it's color.
20 gallon nano-reef torn down to make way for the 40B Reef. I also have two 5 gallon fresh
dmolavi is offline   Reply With Quote

purigen, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com