Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Purigen regen, cheaper Prime alternative

Did a regen on my 3 purigen packets last weekend. Interesting.

When it was time to soak in Prime, the instructions did not say how much, just how much per cup -- so I used one cup per bag.

Which took half a medium sized bottle of prime. Which was kind of pricey, well, compared to chlorine.

I've converted most of my supplies to dry bulk "stuff", fertilizer, buffers, etc.

Is there a cheap alternative to prime, for regeneration of purigen (I use RODI water so I don't need it for anything else).

On a related note, I was very surprised by this process. After the Prime soak, with their nebuluous "buffer" statement, I just used mixed tank water (not yet in the tank). And it STANK. I had to soak it outside. Not even sure what the smell was, but ugly (NOT chlorine, I think a sulfur derivative). And I tested the PH and it was extremely low, so I changed the water in it repeatedly, then started adding baking soda in huge quantities until I could put the packets into tank water without the PH plummeting. Which I'm not sure was right, but...

Anyone else actually test the water with a purigen packet before putting it back in the tank?

Old 01-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

From http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...s/Purigen.html

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you, I've read the web page. I'm not sure what aspect of my question you are addressing. Did you know of a cheap dechlorinator in bulk?
Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use seachem.safe for the purigen recharges.. lot cheapah!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I use seachem.safe for the purigen recharges.. lot cheapah!!
Cool, I'll look. I found some mentioned powdered sodium thiosulfate. Anyone tried that (and in what recipe)?
Old 01-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't use purigen but now I am curious about the regenerating. Do you just soak it in prime?

what do they mean by this

"For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®)"
Old 01-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest84 View Post
I don't use purigen but now I am curious about the regenerating. Do you just soak it in prime?

what do they mean by this

"For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®)"
It's kind of covered above, but what I last did was:

Soak 24 hours in 1:1 clorox/water mix.

Soak 4 hours in tap water with prime added as above.

Soak (in my case) about 24 hours in water containing a lot of alkaline buffer (baking soda), changing it a few times.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yea I just don't get what the point of using the buffer is
Old 01-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Sodium thiosulphite is readily available and quite inexpensive. Just do a search and lots of possibilities will come up.
As to the 8.25% bleach, where would one get that? Most household bleaches are 5% and the bargain brands even lower, sometimes below 4%.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest84 View Post
yea I just don't get what the point of using the buffer is
I'm not clear on that either. There is a lot of historical postings when they recommended it be soaked in "acid buffer" first, to lower the PH. Then they dropped that recommendation generally, as people complained it left it soaked in acidic something which lowered tank ph.

I just soaked it in new tank water, which contains a buffer in my case at dKH=4. And found the ph really, really low, as the regen + purigen in some way lowered it. So I changed water several times until it acted more normal.

What I had never done was test a fresh purigen packet in a bit of water to see what (if anything) it did to PH.

This whole end-of-regeneration phase is a bit mysterious from their writings, but I figure if you douse anything in enough water it becomes OK.

Tags
cheap, native, prime, purigen, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com