Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
PVC Ball Valve Broke On Pipe Return Close To Tank Base - Do I Re-pipe

I could use a little advice here please:

I bought a 52 Gallon Corner Bow Tank yesterday off of someone on Craigslist. It was used for saltwater and will remain that way with me.

The guy pointed out that a 3/4" ball valve on the filter return side, broke off toward the top underbottom of the tank, about 2 inches from the base of the tank underneath where sealed.

Picture above show that there are some broken sections still glued to the return pipe, and if I cut directly above and put another ball valve on, I dont leave myself much room for error (ie. not properly sealed), and I would think that it would force me to have someone at that point need to come in, repipe with a longer piece of pipe on the return, so if down the road something leaks from the valve, I have extra inches to cut away and reattach a new ball valve.

Is the right thing to do here have someone repipe, or do I cut away above that broken section, use a coupler, add a pipe extension without having to pull out the top portion from the tank, break the seal, reseal it into the tank, and add my extension pipe under the coupler ?

Please tell me what the right move is here, as my tank is empty, and I want this done right the first time as you can imagine.

Thanks for the help guys, as I got a wife and a 4 yr old boy asking when they can get a "NEMO" fish in the tank. LOL

Boca Raton, FL
Also, anyone know of a place in South Florida that does tank repairs ?

rx330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Welcome to AA!

I would cut the broken section off, then just use flex tubing like the line on your overflow to go to the pump. Hard plumb the new valve right after the pump output and connect the flex hose.

Here's how I plumbed mine.
The flex tube is from the overflow and the clear braided is from the return pump.

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
thanks for the advice. I met up with a guy today At my local aquarium store, who does custom tank builds, who is going to replace both bulkheads and repipe the tank with longer PVC pipe.
rx330 is offline   Reply With Quote

base, pipe, pvc, tan, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com