PVC Glue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alrighty.. thread title is pretty self explanatory. What kind of PVC Glue should i be using to connect my drain line to my bulkhead? Preferably if anyone knows what type from home depot or lowes even..

Thanks.

I just bought the cheap stuff. It fully cures, you'll be ok. Primer is the key. Home Depot sells both primer and glue in small bottles as a kit - that's what I used.

Now.. PVC glue is the same thing as PVC cement right?

I bought Oatey PVC purple primer, and Oatey PVC cement.. it came as a combo. I also got teflon tape to wrap around the area where the return pump and return line meet. Just for extra precaution i guess.

lol.. i've been slacking on it lately. It's in the aquaria section.. just haven't updated it in a long time. I guess i should since everything is almost done.. :s

Yup, that stuff will work. Don't skimp on the primer, that was my lesson learned.

You only need teflon tape on threaded interfaces. If these interfaces are under water (i.e. at your return pump) then you don't need it there either - because if you have a small leak inside your sump, who cares? (I'm assuming your return pump in internal to the sump - I can't remember off the top of my head your exact configuration)

Im glad you asked that question. Iam getting ready to set up my sump and didnt know which cement to use. Thanks.:D

Cool.. now i just need to figure out which pieces i need.. because apparently.. 3/4" hose doesn't fit on 3/4" slips.

Nah it's not PVC.. it's regular black tubing. But things got a little mixed up.. so i was going back and forth to HD today like an idiot trying to find the right pieces and then later find out that they don't have the piece im looking for. So i had to improvise. Since my return is actually 3/4", i used extra 1" tubing from my drain line, and fit that on to the 3/4" bulkhead.. then used a 3/4" - 1" insert coupling adapter and put the 1" hose on to the adapter a long with the 3/4" ID hose that i had previously bought. So it's basically a really messed up return line.. but it'll work. I'll take a picture of it when im done with it.

Back
Top Bottom