Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Python failure - weak design or user error?

I have only used my Python four or five times, and the drain/fill control on the faucet pump has broken. The central plastic disc that seals off the faucet pump so that water is sent to the tank has four attachment points. One of the attachment points on my Python has broken, so that you can not get a seal to re-fill the tank.

Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Is it a weak design, or was it just over-tightened and broke by user error?

Don't you think Python should sell the drain/fill control separately, since it is prone to failure?

Wish I had saved my reciept, you need one to send it back to Python for warranty replacement.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have not broken the Drain/Fill Valve yet...but I have broken the top plastic part off twice now on the python pump. Also...my Drain Fill/Valve is leaking more than is used to...the screws seems to be making a hole in the plastic.

I now keep an extra Python Pump on hand. They are only $4.99 from http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=3347

My python gets a lot of use with 4 aquariums in the house...I can't expect the python pumps to last forever. For the time and effort the Python saves...I don't mind spending $5 every few months for a replacement.

Also...since purchasing the brass snap connector, I have not broken a python pump in 4 months....yet. Makes life real easy to attach to faucet!
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=2647

WC

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I have never had this happen, and my Python is 5-6 years old, and I have done seventy-jillion water changes with it. The thing that I have had to replace is the plastic faucet adaptor for a brass one, and I have had to replace the shutoff ball valve that is in the hose close to the gravel vac.

There may have been some user error, possibly, but I think this was a defective part. I'd bring it in to wherever you got it, even without the receipt, and see what they say.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO there are quite a few design flaws in the python. If you over tighten the screws they will break the soft plastic, so user error can and will happen.

When I had this same issue I phoned Python Products and spoke to the designer who is the owner. It's really a small company. I forget the guys name now but he was very willing to help me with a new one, no questions asked. I found that refreshing.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was using a bathroom faucet to supply my Python but that didn't work out too good. I replaced the bathroom faucet with a laundry faucet ( it was in my basement) and used the brass quick detach as did Tank Girl. The faucet cost me less than $20 and it is a name brand. Plastic threads will strip pretty quick so if you can do this I highly reccomend it. Also, with the pump prices realtivley reasonable, I'd would keep one one hand if you have multiple tanks. JMO Overall I think the Python works great.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have e-mailed Python Products Inc. and they responded today. They stated thay that they would mail me a new faucet pump. Nice of them to give me the courtesy of a free replacement, no questions asked. I will also pick up a spare one with my next supply order.

Overall an A-plus for customer service from Python Products! They didn't have to offer a new one, but they did.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Tom, could I trouble you to post a review in the General Retailers forum? This is a positive experience that others can definitely benefit from knowing about, especially since it might not occur to many people to contact Python directly.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
Tom, could I trouble you to post a review in the General Retailers forum? This is a positive experience that others can definitely benefit from knowing about, especially since it might not occur to many people to contact Python directly.
Done!

Tags
design, python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com