python gravel vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a python gravel vac only to find that it won't attach to any of my facets. I don't think any adapter will work as none of my facets seem to have threads. Hopefully the store will allow me to return it. In the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives or am I pretty much stuck with a regular siphon? If so, are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks,
Elle

Your faucet does not have threads? Have you taken off the end piece of the faucet? Or perhaps are the threads inside of the faucet? That's where ours are. (Sorry if I am confusing you Elle, I don't know the "technical" names)

go to the python site and they sell adapters for almost every make of facuet, if u dont want to by another piece, idk how long your python is but maybe running it to the faucet outside for your hose would work better for u?

I agree that it is really strange that there are no threads... I thought there would be inside ones on my bathroom one as well but there really doesn't seem to be... I think maybe they are just worn. Its tiny but I was hoping to get an adaptor, but without any threads I don't think there is one for me. The kitchen one is too new and weird- no threads or caps. I did think about the outside tap but it would require getting a lot of extra tubing... but even so I am not sure that I really see myself using it in the winter.... I'm a wimp.

i would try out the univeral adaptor they have then and see if that could work, but call em first, im sure they would be glad to answer a few questions

there are deifinitely threads on your faucet, don't return it yet......most likely, if you can't see them from the outside, then they are inside.........did you have to take anything off first? if you did, then there are your threads, if not, then you are a wimp (jj)!! take a towel and wrap it around the faucet (towel saves from scratching the finish on faucet) and take a pair of pliers or channel locks and turn counter-clock wise and voila!!! good luck!

I was going to get one of these today....sounds like it's totally worth the price.
I just didn't have the cash.

Are they as great as everyone says they are?

Daryth Darkmoon said:
I was going to get one of these today....sounds like it's totally worth the price.
I just didn't have the cash.

Are they as great as everyone says they are?

Yes....

blugrassboy said:
there are deifinitely threads on your faucet, don't return it yet......most likely, if you can't see them from the outside, then they are inside.........did you have to take anything off first? if you did, then there are your threads, if not, then you are a wimp (jj)!! take a towel and wrap it around the faucet (towel saves from scratching the finish on faucet) and take a pair of pliers or channel locks and turn counter-clock wise and voila!!! good luck!

Its true, I am a wimp ... but I am really quite certain that there aren't any threads. I really tried to find them b/c I really want this to work (especially since I bought it at a store very far from me and I don't know if they will return it). There isn't anything that can be removed from the facet and if there are threads on the inside I can't feel or see them at all. There is a tiny groove where a tiny mesh filter sits but that's it. Really.

So you have the mesh thingy? If so, there are threads on your faucet. You just have to screw off the adapter that is currently on the faucet. Sorry, I don't know the technical terms. I would do as Bluegrass suggested, use a plyers and try to get it off. They are hard to get off the first time.

I had to get a 75 foot python because the sink in the bathroom doesn't have threads as well, and had to go from the kitchen on the other end of the house. It does have the mesh aerator as well, but nothing to screw off. I even tried looking up inside to see if it screws out from the inside, and it doesn't. So there are faucets that it just won't work with. The universal doesn't fit it either.

Lonewolfblue said:
I had to get a 75 foot python because the sink in the bathroom doesn't have threads as well, and had to go from the kitchen on the other end of the house. It does have the mesh aerator as well, but nothing to screw off. I even tried looking up inside to see if it screws out from the inside, and it doesn't. So there are faucets that it just won't work with. The universal doesn't fit it either.

yup, sadly that's where I am at. the bathroom facet has nothing to screw off and the little piece of mesh is just sitting in a groove... it can be poked out but not screwed out. the kitchen sink isn't an option either as it is some weird wand facet but there is no adapter- its all one piece. I appreciate all the suggestions but I think I have to accept that I just won't be able to use the python. I am concerned because I have sand and am wondering if it will be harder to clean with a siphon (can I even do that?). If I can't use the python is the siphon my only option? Are they all the same?

With regards to sand, the python would behave no different than a standard gravel vac. They both work the same way. The difference between them is how the siphon is started. Gravel vacs aren't hard to use (not sure about the sand thing), just don't believe the instructions that tell you to pump the vac up and down to start the siphon. The best way to do it is stick the vac end upside down in the water, this will start the siphon for you then turn it right side up and begin to vaccum. Make sure you don't make the mistake that I did and get a vaccum too big for the tank.

I may be in luck!!! I think that if I unscrew my shower hose I may be abble to use the shower head facet if I get an additional adapter. Can anyone see a problem with this? ie. would the height of the water source pose any problems?

Alshain - that's for the trick on starting the vacuum ! I never knew that LOL - I did the pump up and down thing and started a small tsunami in the tank .... and then of course I resorted to the good ole' oral method (dreading that I would end up with a mouth full of fish water). I'm gonna try the upside thing later today ! Thanks

Elle - sorry to steal your thread. I wish I could help but I've never used a python so I have no idea. Its amazing the lengths we go through for our fish - I can imagine you running from faucet to faucet trying to figure out how to work it all out. I sure hope the showerhead solution works !

Has anyone had any experience with the universal adapter? I can't tell from the pictures- is it meant to be a permanent solution or do you attach it each time you use it?

Are these fixture those high end fancy kind or just normal? Or are they really really old?

Can you post a picture or find one on the net?

I'm finding it kind of odd that there are no threads on either the bathroom or kitchen faucets. Might it just be a Canadian thing? ;)

Back
Top Bottom