Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur75 View Post
Is not it a loss about the many water flowing past?
You mean does it waste water? Yes, to a certain extent.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishychick View Post
I'll go back and check the hose, maybe when we initially put it together we did something wrong. Thanks.

What I was saying is that you may actually have a faulty tube or other part, not that you put it together wrong (although it doesn't hurt to check that too). In my case, the hose was fine, but the tube was letting air through, independent of the hose.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by erla View Post
What I was saying is that you may actually have a faulty tube or other part, not that you put it together wrong (although it doesn't hurt to check that too). In my case, the hose was fine, but the tube was letting air through, independent of the hose.
Ahh, ok. I'll go back and check for both things, a faulty part and/or something we may have done wrong initially. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

A simple gravity siphon will give great suction with no wasted water at all if you can get more than a few feet drop to the drain or outside. You can take a long-enough garden hose just about anywhere.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewiza View Post
A simple gravity siphon will give great suction with no wasted water at all if you can get more than a few feet drop to the drain or outside. You can take a long-enough garden hose just about anywhere.

True. I just turn the water on long enough to get the flow going in the Python, and then turn off the water, and let gravity do the work.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewiza View Post
Yeah, I've been using one of those for the last few years. You're right, the suction is great, I was just hoping to do away with buckets and streamline my water changes and maintanence routine to save time so can possibly set up another tank. Or use the extra free time to spend with my family.....but mostly to set up another tank.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

"A simple gravity siphon will give great suction with no wasted water at all if you can get more than a few feet drop to the drain or outside. You can take a long-enough garden hose just about anywhere."

I just realized I think I misunderstood what you were saying. You mean using the Python but connecting the hose in such a way as to drain it outside, lower than the sink so gravity creates the suction instead of the faucet?
Old 06-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishychick View Post
I just realized I think I misunderstood what you were saying. You mean using the Python but connecting the hose in such a way as to drain it outside, lower than the sink so gravity creates the suction instead of the faucet?
No, I would just use the python for re-filing, now that you have it. There's lots of ways to connect a hose to a faucet, python being one of the more expensive options. I've never used a bucket, except to carry fish back and forth. Apparently the python is pretty useless as a cleaning device, at least in your case.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have you tried running a piece of wire down the T shaped part that connects to the sink? It could be a plug left inside from when the part was molded. I have the 50ft version and my sink is level with my tank and mine works great with water on halfway.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:10 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsonja4 View Post
Have you tried running a piece of wire down the T shaped part that connects to the sink? It could be a plug left inside from when the part was molded. I have the 50ft version and my sink is level with my tank and mine works great with water on halfway.

I will definitely check that out. Thanks! I've heard so many people rave about the Python, I can't imagine its current state is how it's supposed to be working.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com