python no spill and fill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torstar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just checking out a video at the python website and saw a demo of the no spill and fill system. It looks great but does it really work well? Imight only have a 36G but filling with a bucket is a pain in the butt. Or does anyone recommend something else.

If it is worth the cash, I just have to find somewhere online that sells it because I have yet to find one here in Kingston (Ontario)

That's interesting. We loved our Python but changed over to Aqueon since Python was no longer making the parts if you broke something.

I have the aqueon and its worth it! Especially if you have a larger tank or multiple tanks. Its almost effortless.

I use the python at home and at the shop, it's a great water changer. Mine is starting to come apart though so I will need to replace the piece that goes onto the faucet.

I think all of the different brands are basically the same but I'm not sure. One thing I do know is that once you get one you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner.

On a side note, can you hook a regular water hose up to the faucet piece on the aqueon water changer? With the Python it just screws right on.

I have the 50' Aqueon, and also a 20' Aqueon extension.
It works fine, but I have only used it once to date.
The fat gravel-cleaner siphon end actually works pretty well on my sand substrate.
I chose the larger # 20 grain for just this reason, being concerned smaller sand might get sucked into the hose.

My tank is 155 gallons, so the Aqueon is saving me from making a dozen or more trips with a five gallon Home Depot bucket!
My only concern is during filling of the aquarium. I add a capful of dechlorinator now and then to the tank during the ten minute process, whereas before I was able to add dechlorinator to every bucket and stir prior to adding the water to the tank.

Not sure if this is ok, but can't think of other options.

You also need to be careful about the water temp during refill.

Aside from these two issues, I am satisfied with this method vs. hauling buckets of water around my house!

I saw the aqueon hose at petsmart (the ones your all talking about) and i am going today to pick it up. Even though I only have a 36G I am not enjoying the buckets lol.

Thanks for your help gang, I really appreciate it. Hopefully i enjoy the aqueon as much as you all do :)

Best thing since sliced bread, period. Highly recommend it. I have the Aqueon 25' and love it.

Would these work with a tank in the basement? I'd have to get long enough hose to run from the kitchen down to te basement but will it lose suction from that distance?

I have both the Python and the Aqueon. I wrote a comparison on my blog last week:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a Python, I got at walmart for like 30 Bucks... then later they doubled the price. Lost It since then. They a wonder tool for water changes. What normaly takes 20 mins take 5 with that thing. I Def need another one sooner or later. If you looking to get one, dont let grass grow under your feet... Really.

When my Python broke I bought the Aqueon. I find it easier to hook up, but slower in siphoning water. As I have a SW tank and don't vacuum the sand the extra time doesn't bother me at all. I just wait till water gets down to my mark on the side of the tank and then remove the hose from the tank.

Would these work with a tank in the basement? I'd have to get long enough hose to run from the kitchen down to te basement but will it lose suction from that distance?

Im sure it wont if you have the water running which makes the syphon to start.

Edit: Even if you have a water fauset in you basement it would hook to that.

I don't have a water faucet in the basement so I'd have to the hose up to my kitchen. Do you think I would still get good suction?

cmor1701d said:
Doubtful that you would create enough suction to bring the water up six feet or so.

x2 there's way too much friction loss with such a small diameter hose and the faucet just doesn't create enough draft to pull water.

Probably take forever...

jetajockey said:
I use the python at home and at the shop, it's a great water changer. Mine is starting to come apart though so I will need to replace the piece that goes onto the faucet.

I think all of the different brands are basically the same but I'm not sure. One thing I do know is that once you get one you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner.

On a side note, can you hook a regular water hose up to the faucet piece on the aqueon water changer? With the Python it just screws right on.

I've hooked the aqueon setup to a regular garden hose successfully. I used a regular siphon I've had and then bought the faucet connection for about 12 bucks from petsmart. You will have to utilize the aqueon connections and cut off the connections that are in the garden hose. the threading is not the same. Connect using the 'slip' connection provided in the aqueon faucet connection. For the siphon (in the tank) side slide the hose over the tip. When filling, remove the siphon and let the water flow through. The siphon works one way and will not water through. Total setup around 30 bucks. Aqueon products about 15 bucks.

ForumRunner_20111220_184351.jpg

ForumRunner_20111220_184351.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111220_184550.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111220_184550.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20111220_184644.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111220_184644.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20111220_184726.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111220_184726.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 71