Python no spill issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldshell4481

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just went out and got a python system and i was unaware of the need for water to be constantly running. i cant leave the water running alot because we live on an island and freshwater is not really plentiful, so we try to conserve as much as possible. i have a small gravel cleaner, and was wondering if there is a way to convert the python so that it will siphon water right out the window. i dont know but im pretty sure its alot of sucking to make a siphon without the thing that prevents water from running back into the tank.

its not too bad. i got a 55 gal and i was doing it that way for about 5 months before i got smart. as long as the open end stays below the water level in the tank you'll be fine

Take a piece of hose and attach it the part on the bottom that you turn to direct water use a hose clamp to attach the hose,run hose out the window.
open valvet to empty water out the window,close it to fill the only difference is the hose going out the window-Anne

If you put the python in your tank, fill the hose with water using the fill function, turn off the python flow valve, then turn off the faucet, and disconnect from the faucet ,and put the faucet end out the window. The water in the hose will flow out when you open the python valve, making the suction to clean your gravel. Might be easier than putting a dry python out the window and sucking on the end. Only water wasted would be the volume to fill the hose. Depending on how far below tank level the faucet end is, the suction could be extreme and need regulating with the valve on the end next to the python.

i found that siphoning isnt too hard, just takes some strong sucking. theres no way to keep the sucking end below water level because it has to go uphill to get out the window. guess it aint too bad, helps with refilling the tank, carrying buckets is a biznitch. guess its and okay purchase for 49.99

Try filling the hose and keeping the water in it before you send the end out the window. The water thats already in the hose will flow out and provide the siphon, saving you a mouthfull of tank water every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom