Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to pkillur Send a message via MSN to pkillur Send a message via Yahoo to pkillur
Python siphon question(s)

OK, so I'm super excited to buy a python, but I have the following questions:

1: Does the water come out the end of the tube where it connects to the faucet (I.E. in a sink?) or does it empty out of another tube?

2: I'm guessing that the water goes back in the tube that the python "sucks" from. Isn't that kind of risky putting water back in without treating it first?

3: How do you know how much water to treat? I know that might be a noob question or something, but I still do it in the 5 gallon bucket method...

Old 06-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Re: Python siphon question(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkillur
1: Does the water come out the end of the tube where it connects to the faucet (I.E. in a sink?) or does it empty out of another tube?
2: I'm guessing that the water goes back in the tube that the python "sucks" from. Isn't that kind of risky putting water back in without treating it first?
3: How do you know how much water to treat? I know that might be a noob question or something, but I still do it in the 5 gallon bucket method...
1. out the tube into the sink.
2. not really. you can treat as soon as you finish the W/C.
3. should be on the directions of the bottle. if you are doing a 10% change you would not full dose (if dose at all). i would dose with a 35% and higher W/C.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Hi, the water comes out directly into the sink.
You can treat while refilling, most people treat for the whole tank rather than just the portion removed.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I treat for the entire volume of the tank. If your water source uses chloramines, always treat even if it is a 5% change. I pour the dechlorinator into the water stream when I first start refilling.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:55 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to pkillur Send a message via MSN to pkillur Send a message via Yahoo to pkillur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
I treat for the entire volume of the tank. If your water source uses chloramines, always treat even if it is a 5% change. I pour the dechlorinator into the water stream when I first start refilling.
So, If on my 72 gallon tank, I would put in 7 ml of Prime (which would treat 70 ish gallons)? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and it uses gnarly chloramines. I always treat each 5 gallon bucket I currently use, but the python looks a lot simpler. I usually do 15 to 20 gallons, which is somewhere between 20-30%, but I guess I'm confused because how do you know? I guess I could closely figure it out by gallon X vertical inches (the math is funky because it's a bowfront...)
Old 06-20-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just measure the height and divide by 4. I made 3 dots on the side at the back with a sharpie. That will show a 25,50,75 %. It wont be exact because of gravel and ornaments but its close enough.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

When treating for the entire volume of the tank it doesn't matter how much water has been replaced. I just look at the tank and visualy divide the tank in half and do the water change to that point.

55 Gallon Community
Old 06-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #8

python

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
When treating for the entire volume of the tank it doesn't matter how much water has been replaced. I just look at the tank and visualy divide the tank in half and do the water change to that point.
Ok, I'm sure I'm going to seem dense here, but what I think you're saying is always do a 50 % wc and treat for 1/2 volume (36ish gallon dose)?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you do a 50% water change still dose as if you were doing a 100% change. If you use a product like Prime, you won't be using much more dechlorinator anyway.

55 Gallon Community

Tags
python, siphon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com