Python system for water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jps39

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone out there use the python gravel/water change system? If so, is it worth while, and is there any problems with it. Please let me know what your experiences have been.

Many people here have them and love them, myself included. If you have a large tank, you really need something like this. Buckets just won't cut it for water changes. Try a search on the forums to see what others have said about the python. The topic pops up fairly regularly.

For those FW folks the python is nice. You do have the issue of how one declorinates the water since it goes directly from your sink into the tank. When I has FW tanks and used one i found it made water changes and top offs so much faster. I would add declorinator to the tank as the python was filling from a water change.

For the SW folks the python isnt much use unless you have a sink that outputs saltwater.

If you use the search feature here you can find tons of threads about the merits of the Python. I don't know how I got along without one!

Just used one for the first time. I was skeptical, having had bad experiences with faucet driven water bed drainage systems. The python performs as advertised, worth the money!
Tom

Yea! Don't know what I would do with my 120 without the python :) Soaked floors and buckets are a pain :? and if the better half notices I get chased around with a wet mop :lol:
Ya I just had to replace the ballvalve and 2 connectors that broke one after the other. If you look around it is possible to find brass replacements for most of the parts.

Python is definitely worth the money. Especially if you have a large tank or mulitple tanks.

I used to haul around a 5 gallon bucket of water up and down the stairs to do water changes with my tank in my bedroom. Yuck!

With a python, water changes don't seem like a chore anymore and I can actually keep on a constant schedule with it.

Python is worth the money but if your cheap make one!!

Its pretty dang easy

Below is a link :

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_python.php

I have never done this...as I have my own python

The only thing I can see going wrong with this is the pressure created by the conecction of the gravel cleaner to the hose...I'd seal it if I were you!!

Back
Top Bottom