Python vacuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shewood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm thinking of getting a python, but I'm uncomfortable with having the poopy water empty into the kitchen sink. Can the vacuum part be used without connecting it to a water source? When I vacuum my gravel now, I just put the hose out if a window and let the dirty water go into the back yard.

It will probably be able to be used without connecting it to the sink. But if it doesnt work then just buy a regular siphon from your lfs

Thanks, I think I will just buy it and hope it works. At least I won't have to fill the tank with buckets. I was hoping to only have one unit though. Who needs aquarium clutter? Ijs

Thanks, I think I will just buy it and hope it works. At least I won't have to fill the tank with buckets. I was hoping to only have one unit though. Who needs aquarium clutter? Ijs

It won't work. It uses the faucet to start the siphon.

It's not that bad. The bad water mixes with you tap water so it gets diluted

Man, life sure would of been GRAND if it would empty in to the toilet or some place else.

It gets diluted, and if you really worry about it just disinfect the sink after you finish the water change. Spray the sink with Lysol or wipe down with bleach. The python is worth a little extra sink cleaning. It saves so much work!

I wouldn't be so worried of the fish poop getting into your sink. The bacteria that grows in most kitchen sinks would scare me a lot more than fish poop....

If you want, you can also connect it to a regular hose outside and have it drain in the back yard. Turning on the hose will provide the siphon needed.

Just suck on it like you would if pulling gas out of a car. Doesn't take much effort and you could see with plenty of time when the poop water is coming to stop sucking. Done it like this forever and have never come close to any getting in my mouth. I put the hose out to my rose bushes outside, not because I didn't want it going into the sink but to put the dirty water to good use. (Clean end after/before each use)

Plants LOVE LOVE LOVE dirty fish water! I feel better about putting it in all the plants and recycling it so to speak than just dumping it down the drain. I water indoor and outdoor plants with the fish water, but not everyone keeps plants. If you don't keep plants I would still use the sink and then just clean it as mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom