Python vs Meridian Auto Water Changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, here's my two cents:

Python's are great for filling...but I think they're junky gravel vac's, and waste a ton of water in the process.

The Meridian appears to be about the same...except no gravel vac attachment. It appears to still use a siphon run by your faucet to pull water out of the tank.

For $15 I went to ACE Hardware, bought 25 feet of clear tubing, some fittings, a water bed filler (which is all the python faucet adapter is), and a few bits of PVC to make my own upside-down 'U' shaped filling adapter, similar to the meridian.

I prefer to vac my tanks into 5 gallon buckets. the suction is stronger than with a python, its easier to gauge how many gallons I removed, and it wastes significantly less water.

When you gonna perform the drudgery of vacuming your substrate, or do you have a sand substrate; which stills needs to be stirred and larger debris removed regularly?
Either way you'll still have to be present to keep a eye on the procedure ect... Personally I'd go with the python so I could do my vacuming at the same time.

When I had a FW tank I much preferred the Meridian for water changes. They were slow and gradual and although I had city water, no water treatment was necessary. I just hooked it up to the sink and let it go for an hour or longer. I did regular vacuuming of the gravel but not necessarily at the same time.

sry, I should have explained more ... I have well water, so while I don't want to sound like I don't care about wasting water ... i really don't.

As for substrate, I do have sand (pool sand) ... and I can hardly clean it too much anyways without disturbing all my plants (which is a pain).

I currently use a 5 gallon bucket with a standard gravel vac to empty/refill the tank. The thing is ... I just got some $$$ for christmas and figured a faster way to do water changes would be a good investment ... since I get tired of lugging buckets around and heaving them up to the tank and try to pour without dislodging all the sand/plants.

jibbo, why not either make somthing like a python (will post a link) or just spend the $4 so you have the option of vacuming...

You can limit the python's water return rate if you like by turning a simple valve. I believe the meridian is kinda dumb if you can't vacummn but its your option

Below is a link to creating a python like system (50 Foot for under the price of a 25 foot)

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_python.php

**NOTE: I have never built this...but I do not see why it would not work.

The only diffrent thing I'd consider doing is

sealing where that article attached the gravel cleaner to the female hose part.

Good luck!

wow.. i must say thanks for posting that article.. i did a water change today and it took a bit with the bucket :|

now tomorrow after a trip to HD or wally-world ill have a home made python!

As mentioned, the Meridian is changing water only, not vac'ing, and the Python allows you to vac with your water change, so their purposes are different. I solve the water wasting issue with my Python by turning off my faucet once the syphon has started, and then it is basically a regular gravity-driven vac hose.

As you have sand and do not really need to root around in it, and because you have a well and don't have to treat the water for chlorine, then the Meridian sounds like a time saver. You will have to suction off the solid debris that will accumulate, tho.

Back
Top Bottom