Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Q for Fluval canister owners

The fluval canisters have a flow control switch on the intake and output hoses. If I want to slow down flow rate by 50% for a few months and dial down the flow controls (for maybe 6 months), will that damage the motor?

They have a magnetic impeller so clamping down the flow should not affect the motor, right?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

According to Fluval, 50% is fine, they don't recommend any more than that. I leave mine at full flow though so no experience personally...

Old 10-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You should be fine. I've reduced mine at times but not as long as you're wanting to.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah it'll be fine, I had a problem with my FX6 in which smaller fish would swim behind the intake and get stuck unable to swim away.

Just turned it down to 50% for a month and it's still working fine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcham View Post
The fluval canisters have a flow control switch on the intake and output hoses. If I want to slow down flow rate by 50% for a few months and dial down the flow controls (for maybe 6 months), will that damage the motor?

They have a magnetic impeller so clamping down the flow should not affect the motor, right?

What size filter and tank is this on ? Extended periods will cause issues with the impeller. First hand experience here. I would add a pre filter sponge and leave the flow full open. Packing more media and filter floss will also cut down on the gph as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its a 125 gallon tank but the strong output is messing up the tall background stem plants. Its a carefully manicured planted tank. Anyone know where I can get a spray bar to replace the included directional jet nozzles of the fx6?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Its a 125 gallon tank but the strong output is messing up the tall background stem plants. Its a carefully manicured planted tank. Anyone know where I can get a spray bar to replace the included directional jet nozzles of the fx6?

You could probably make one yourself, or get some netting and cover the output nozzles on the FX6 to dampen the flow.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
You could probably make one yourself, or get some netting and cover the output nozzles on the FX6 to dampen the flow.

Yes but that would have the same effect on the impeller and motor as dialing down the flow control knob, which apparently can harm the motor or impeller (too much resistance).

Worst case scenario I can build my own spray bar using black pvc pipes and a drill. Did that for my fluval spec V filter.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yes but that would have the same effect on the impeller and motor as dialing down the flow control knob, which apparently can harm the motor or impeller (too much resistance).

Worst case scenario I can build my own spray bar using black pvc pipes and a drill. Did that for my fluval spec V filter.

Just point the output towards the surface?
Or the back of the tank?

Old 10-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its pointing towards the surface already but pushing the tall background stem plants too hard. I could hang the output nozzles over the side glass towards the foreground, but the big hose is ugly when draping over the side of this display tank. Was hoping to keep all the hoses hidden.

Tags
canister, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com