Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
zacdl

Q on Stainless Steel Heater

I looked at this heater and thought, WOW, what a great idea. It measures by the temp, and you can actually set the temp instead of a little dial.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113767

My question is, would this be OK in a SW tank? I know it says FW, but why would it be wrong in SW?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
steve-s

If you like the concept, try finding a <<Won Brothers heater>>. Titanium construction is much more prefered in SW.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-31-2005, 11:44 AM   #3
zacdl

OK but why would this be bad (Its already ordered )
Old 05-31-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My guess is that the Stainless Steel is not a good mix with Saltwater. I'm no chemist, so I don't know what the reaction would be but Steve's word would be all I needed that it wasn't a good idea! I've seen that titanium heater before that Steve recommended and when I replace my heaters that's what I'll go with. If fosters and smith hasn't actually shipped the heater you may be able to get them to cancel the order.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
steve-s

Not all stainless steel is created equally. If the construction is not specifically designed with SW in mind, it will most likely rust in time depending on exposed parts. Titanium is generally the prefered metal when dealing with SW applications.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-31-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Titanium is slightly more resistant to corrosion, but there's always something better. Silver is even less corrosive, gold better still, and platinum the best. I don't think Titanium heaters cost mush more than what you paid, however.

I can tell you that if the rubber endcaps are exposed to the air for any time at all, they're going to melt and cause electrical leakage into the tank - I know this from experience.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
zacdl

I hate Drs Foster Smith even more now.

They havent even shipped the order yet (I was going to exchange it for a Visi Therm Stealth) and they wont change it "Its mixed with thousands of other orders, and we are too lazy to look for it" lol.

Anyway, I guess I wont use it once it gets here.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's what I use for my tank - except I use (2) 200w heaters in mine in case one goes bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...384431795&rd=1

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 05-31-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think there's any reason not to use it - it just may not last as long.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 05-31-2005, 12:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're home refuse shipment when it gets there. Otherwise do a return to sender. I can't believe they won't pull your order from the system. Very strange. You must deal with a different LiveAquaria then me (that or you've already made them mad, lol)!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, eel, heater, stain, stainless steel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com