Q on Stainless Steel Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guess is that the Stainless Steel is not a good mix with Saltwater. I'm no chemist, so I don't know what the reaction would be but Steve's word would be all I needed that it wasn't a good idea! I've seen that titanium heater before that Steve recommended and when I replace my heaters that's what I'll go with. If fosters and smith hasn't actually shipped the heater you may be able to get them to cancel the order.

Not all stainless steel is created equally. If the construction is not specifically designed with SW in mind, it will most likely rust in time depending on exposed parts. Titanium is generally the prefered metal when dealing with SW applications.

Cheers
Steve

Titanium is slightly more resistant to corrosion, but there's always something better. Silver is even less corrosive, gold better still, and platinum the best. I don't think Titanium heaters cost mush more than what you paid, however.

I can tell you that if the rubber endcaps are exposed to the air for any time at all, they're going to melt and cause electrical leakage into the tank - I know this from experience.

I hate Drs Foster Smith even more now.

They havent even shipped the order yet (I was going to exchange it for a Visi Therm Stealth) and they wont change it "Its mixed with thousands of other orders, and we are too lazy to look for it" lol.

Anyway, I guess I wont use it once it gets here.

If you're home refuse shipment when it gets there. Otherwise do a return to sender. I can't believe they won't pull your order from the system. Very strange. You must deal with a different LiveAquaria then me (that or you've already made them mad, lol)!

Thats about the same price.

I think I will just get a Visi Therm Thermometer instead.

Well.... Its also coming with my new filter.... I dont want to keep putting that off either :)

Back
Top Bottom