Q's on plumbing system design, eel maze and metal parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clexman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finished assembling my manifold for my new 90g tank tonight and was wondering...

Can i use any brass or metalic fittings in this saltwater system? I know that copper and steel are out, but I would like to add a pressure gauge and a garden hose spigot. Do i need to stay all plastic?

Also, did i make any terrible mistakes in the manifold i made pictured below?

I included 2 outputs for general water return, 1 to add flow to a PVC eel maze I’m putting under the sand and 1 for a drain for water changes.

2 of the manifold outputs will "Y" together and enter for the eel maze. The flow to the eel maze will enter through a hole drilled in the lower part of the back of the tank. One leg of the "Y" will have a check valve to prevent disaster in the event of a power outage. The other will be connected to a valve on the bulkhead that will be closed during normal operation. To perform a water change, the main valve will be shut off and the #2 eel ball valve (the one without the check valve) will be opened. I will then be able to open the spigot on the drain and dump the water. The output nozzle inside the eel maze will have a bulkhead screen on the end of it to prevent sucking animals in.

Does anyone see any flaws with this system? I feel good with it on paper, but don't know if it's been tried and unsuccessful before.

I hate doing water changes and am all for anything to streamline the process.

Anyone else out there have an "eel maze" in their tank?

Any comments please.

Attachments

• manifold_851.jpg
    manifold_851.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom