Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
QT a few questions....

I just started setting up my 1st QT. (no disease in the main tank)
1. I added about 30-40% of water from my main tank.
2. Added the rest from pre-mixed 24hours mixing.
3. Added about 3-4 cups of current CC substrate.
4. Added about 3-5Lbs of LR from main tank.
5. Floated the bio-wheel in main tank for almost 2 days.

20 Gallon w/Eclipse 2 hood. (the heat from those lights are incredible)
UGH! Just saw the price for this, I paid double at my LFS....sigh...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...1&N=2004&Nty=1

Now for my questions...
1. How long should this take to cycle?
2. The temp is sitting at around 80-84 (I just lifted the lid this morning, to help the heat problem and turned down the heater)
3. I have a clown that might have a problem, but I will post that under sick fish...

Thanks

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: QT a few questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Now for my questions...
1. How long should this take to cycle?
Usually the normal amount of time. You can speed that up by "seeding" the QT with something from the main tank. Any hard surfaced intert materials will do. The CC and rock need to be removed. The tank should be barebottom except for items the fish can hide in/around. Unpainted plastic decorations, PVC pipe joints, coffee cups and so forth. No CaCO3 materials. If you use anykind of filter floss in the main, that would work very well if transfered to the biowheel HOB.

Quote:
2. The temp is sitting at around 80-84 (I just lifted the lid this morning, to help the heat problem and turned down the heater)
Keep that under 80°. Most likely CO2 build up is causing the heat increase so just prop open the small lid on the tank. Be sure to check the pH as well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, just replied to your PM! I only put a little CC in the QT for the good bacteria....you can still see a good portion of the glass bottom(this doesn't help "seed" the tanmk any). I also have about 5LBs of LR from the main tank and soaked the biowheel in the main for about two days.....Should I start testing the water now...If the parameters are 0s can I put the clown in it or should I wait for 4-6 weeks for the spikes to go down? I did leave the small lid open in hope of getting the temp down.
The tank is in a cubbyhole designed for a 27 inch TV, so there is really nowhere for the heat to disperse....I'll see if I can get the temp in check, might have to add a fan...

Thanks!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
I only put a little CC in the QT for the good bacteria....you can still see a good portion of the glass bottom(this doesn't help "seed" the tanmk any). I also have about 5LBs of LR from the main tank and soaked the biowheel in the main for about two days.....
You need to remove the rock and CC, the biowheel is fine. In fact, you'll be amazed at how quickly the biowheel helps. I realise the first two where for seeding but you don't want them to become a part of the biofilter nor do you want to be adding sick fish while they are in there. Certain meds will be intrerfered with by the presence of the items. Your current dilema is not a concern but future ones could be. Return the rock to the main tank before you transfer the clown but leave the CC. Once the clowns treatment is done, toss the CC in the trash.

Quote:
Should I start testing the water now...If the parameters are 0s can I put the clown in it or should I wait for 4-6 weeks for the spikes to go down?
Even though you've added a seeding source, the bacteria still need an ammonia source if they are to spread and multiply. You will most likely not see any increase in the nitrogens save for a small nitrate reading which will quickly dissapate. You can place the clown in the QT now, just be sure you check the nitrogens (NH3/NO2/NO3) at minimum 2x a day. Water changes are your best defence in the beginning. The treatment needed is only for about 10 days so not a huge time frame. The only exception being secondary infection but I don't see that happening so far. Ammonia and nitrite will be worrysome but easily kept at bay with water changes.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Got it! Thanks again! I'll move the LR back and junk the CC when I'm done!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com