QT Setup Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juster

Aquarium Advice Regular
My display tank has been up and running for 3 months now. It is stocked with hermits, snails, cleaner shrimp and 3 chromis. I want to add a pair of clownfish next. I never QT'd the chromis since they were the first fish but want to QT the new arrivals. I am planning on a 10 or 20 gal QT tank. Here are some of the question I have:

1) Should I put sand in the QT tank?
2) Should I put some live rock in for natural filtration?
3) Do I need a mechanical filter?
4) What kind of lighting can i get away with?

Any other input would also be appreciated. Thanks

Juster

Bare bottom is best. You'll want to be able to siphon out anything that's there. No LR is necessary but put in some PVC elbows and parts for the fish to hide in.
I use a HOB filter with a biowheel for filtration. For new arrivals I put the filter media in the main tank for a week first to build up the biofilter on the media. It's more important to test your water twice a day for ammonia and nitrites and be prepared for a daily water change. I usually do a 10% daily water change to make sure the water quality stays up. NO lights are fine for just fish.

Hope that helps.

I would go with the larger 20 gal tank for a qt. That way you won’t limit yourself on what you can purchase down the road and it makes it easier to maintain good water quality. I also keep a bio-wheel on my main tank at all times even though I have plenty of lr so I can just transfer the unit over to the qt when needed. Just basic lighting is all you need and you will keep that off most of the time anyways if treating for sickness. Just make sure if you do medicate your qt that all the filter media is discarded before using on the main again.

I agree with the above. Bare bottom. PVC pipes (2-3") for hiding. I've also used rocks that aren't live for fish to hide behind also. Regular flourescents will do. I'd also go for a 20g rather than the 10g. My "dead" rocks were used only in my QT so that copper was no issue.

Back
Top Bottom