QT tank recommendation needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDog54

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After reading articles on this site for a while now i know it's best to "do it right the first time" or suffer the aggravation and expense of many failures. Keeping that in mind i determined that my dream tank ( 240 fowlr) was a little expensive to say the least. I was thinking of setting up a small Fish Only tank while i saved money for the 240 and turn it into a QT later on down the road.
I've heard that small SW tanks are very touchy and unstable and tend to make people get out of the hobby before they can learn all the "tricks of the trade". I was looking at 12g or 24g nano cube for this purpose, but i dont want to spend the money if i've got to buy $500 worth of extra equipment to make the $220 Nano Tank work. Are these systems stable? If not, what do you recommend for a QT tank. Will under gravel systems work in SW?
Thanks for any help!!!!! :?: :?: :?:

all u need for a QT is a tank (obviously) HOF and some pvc piping for the fish to hide.. oh yeah dont forget heater.. and dependant on the size of the QT maybe a small PH to distribute water flow..

Thanks for the advise.

What's a good size for a QT tank?

What type o filtration would you use?

Do you keep a Qt tank running all the time or do you only set the tank up for a new arrival and then tear it down after the fish is added to the main tank?

mine is 3 foot.. but wanting to get a smaller one.. maybe 2 foot.. i have a small hob filter.. dont want to spend hundreds on $$$.. generally keep it running all the time in the garage..

At the very least, a 20g, cheap flourescent lights, heater, bare bottom, HOB filter, with PVC tubes for hiding as suggested. I did use some pcs of rock too - of course if copper treatments are used, the rock could never go into the main anyway.

If you're going for a 240 main, maybe a 40g breeder tank might give you more error room as ammonia spikes may often occur in a QT environment.

And by the way... kudos for the QT use :soap: . Good example for others to follow. (y)

Look into a large rubbermaid container, a submersable heater and a cheap HOB or canister filter. Very cheap setup. Lights aren't needed.

If you want to use this tank for any prolonged period (while you're saving up the 7K it will cost you to get the 220 running properly) you're going to need something more than a HOB for filtration. QT setups are not anything like Nanos. A QT setup requires the constant maintenance and monitoring of parameters and typically daily water changes. If you want to setup a 20g nano (a more stable system that can withstand weekly water changes) as an interum while you prepare for the 220 count on spending at least 600$ by the time all is said and done. The good news is that when you're done you'll be 600$ closer to the 220 being ready. Most of what you invest in the 20 will be used in the 220 when it is ready (rock, sand, fish, QT).

Thanks for all the responces but like all newbies i have more questions.

If you just set the tank up when you need it how do you get around the cycle. For example, if i've got a sick fish and need to Q him, i would have to wait 6 weeks for the QT tank to cycle. How do you get around that?

If i decide to keep the thank going all the time what kind of fish would be a good choi to keep in there all the time?

Check out the Articles section, under Quarantine. It'll explain how a seeded filter or sponge, or something is kept in the main tank's sump. That seeded medium will provide what's needed for the QT tank when used.

I'm thinking that as you stock a 220g, your QT will be up all the time anyway. I kept a couple of blue/green chromis in mine. When finished adding fish over the next months, the (sorry to say) one chromis that was left was added to the 2 in my main and I was finished.

what are you exactly looking for right now... A QT or a small tank to keep you happy till you get the $$$ for a 240. I think people going in 2 directions here.
the way I read your post you want a small tank that you will later turn into a QT.
You will need all the things needed for a tank.. LR, Skimmer or do regular water changes, ro/di or ro water, heater, either a HOB filter or canister for flow and a place to run carbon or what ever.. Lights, if you want corals the a PC if only fish then a NO flor fixture is fine.
Walmart sells a nice package deal on tanks, I got my first FW tank there, it was a 55 for around $100 give or take $25... I got ther stand for another 50 or 75.

If you just set the tank up when you need it how do you get around the cycle.
Keep a sponge in the sump or filter of your main. When you need to set up the qt, just place this sponge (seeded with bacteria) into the qt tank filter and you are ready to go.

If i decide to keep the thank going all the time what kind of fish would be a good choi to keep in there all the time?
No fish, you can simply "feed" the bacteria a couple times a week with a little fish food.

Thanks for all the responces. I think i'm going to just save for the 240 and associated equipment. The Qt tank will be a "used as needed" tank and not up all the time. I'll just seed it as suggested above.

I'm thinking of building a wall stand/canopy that looks like the wall itself. I'm planning on building space in there for large plastic trash cans for water changes and to collect water from the RO. I'll try to provide a space in there for the QT as well.

Thanks again for all the responces.

Back
Top Bottom