Quarantine/baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azure Lord

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok i need some advice. I want to have a small tank to house and cure sick fish, hatch fry, and maybe raise RCS(obviously not all at once) . My concern is more due to the shrimp and sick fish. How big does it 'really' need to be. Can i skate by with a 1gallon tank? This is not a permanant home for anything except shrimp.

For a hospital tank 1 gallon sounds good. But, for a QT, I think a 5.5 gallon minimum. Personally, I believe a 10 gallon would be best, if you have the room.

I'm QTing 4 " emerald green cory" and my 5.5 is just too small. I upped the filtration to 2 aqueon quite flow 10, 1 aqueon quiet flow 20, and a Caf-10 (sponge biomedia). All have seasoned biomedia. The problem is the emeralds are huge. Close to 2" each.

I started them in an emergency 3 gallon doing 3 PWC a day. Shortened the QT on my fish in the 5.5. Then, moved them and kept adding filters with used biomedia until all tests 0 for 24hrs. They are cramped in the 5.5 gallon, but I have no room to add a 10 gallon QT anywhere.

The problem is 5.5 gallons is just too small of a quantity of water when wastes are made.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Whats the difference between a hospital and a quarantine tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hospital would be upped just to treat and house a sick fish.

QT would be temporary housing for any/all new fish prior to going into one of your established tanks. People use anywhere from 3 days to 6 weeks of QT time for new fish.

Edited to add: A QT would probably be run at all times and seasoned with ammonia when no new fish are in Quarentine. Either that or the filter of the QT would be moved to an established tank to keep the N cycle going.

Whats the difference between a hospital and a quarantine tank?

Hospital tank you put (hopfully) 1 fish in at a time when its sick, a quarantine you put new fish in for 2-4 weeks after you buy them, there in there probably as long as they were in the pet store.

I would say 5.5g minimum, 10 g would be best, I mean if you need to QT a Bala shark or something you obviously need like a 20-29g QT Tank.

How big is ur main tank? why is a 5.5g tank such an issue? there like $30 and thats what I would go with, unless you already have a 1g laying around.

1 gallon works great for a hospital tank. I got mine real cheap at Amazon or Walmart on-line.

Abd size is an issue cuz im limited as hell on space lol

Back
Top Bottom