Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should quarantined fish be treated with a certain medication as a precaution while in the QT even if there aren't any noticeable problems.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmc2009 View Post
Should quarantined fish be treated with a certain medication as a precaution while in the QT even if there aren't any noticeable problems.
There are two very apposing views on this subject. A passive approach says wait until the fish present symptoms and then treat. The idea is that any med damages fish internally to some extent, such as copper based meds, and should only be used if needed.

The second approach is a proactive one and says treat fish for common parasites and worms such as flukes and not risk the main tank.

What I do and I am no expert so listen to others and make a decision:

I use ParaGuard as a dip when introducing to QT tank. One week later if no symptoms present themselves I treat with PraziPro for worm type infestation. Note paraguard has no independent studies that I have found that say it cures anything but SeaChem is a reputable company and their Copper based Cupremine is widely used for marine Ich.

I never will use Copper based meds UNLESS symtoms are evident. Better to shorten the life span of the fish potentially than kill it for sure from Marine Ich.

I hold all fish regardless of what LFS says 6 weeks in QT.

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com