Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixelfinger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was thinking of setting up a small quarintine tank at the same time as setting up a 75 gallon cichlid tank. Was wondering how many of you use a quarantine tank, and if so was it worth the investment?

Was thinking of setting up a small quarintine tank at the same time as setting up a 75 gallon cichlid tank. Was wondering how many of you use a quarantine tank, and if so was it worth the investment?

OK this is close to home for me. I had my 72 bowfront fully stocked less one fish I was about to buy when I began to loose fish rapidly over 3 days. Marine ich was the culprit. I lost 7 fish.

My 72 is setting fallow now for at least 45 days to complete the life cycle of the parasite for it to die out. I have a bristletooth tang in my new QT tank. I will never place stock in my DT that has not been in QT again. The cost of the loss not considering the mental stress was about 300.00. All corals will be dipped before placing in the DT.

I spent 50.00 on a new 20 gal long. I had a HOB filter and nano stream pump and 24 inch T5 light twin bulb. I also had a spare heater. It was a minimum investment compared to the loss and frustration. You can approach it as insurance. It will not guarantee nothing will happen but will minimize the chance of introducing bad stuff to other stock. It also will allow you to treat rapidly without more stress from removing stock from your DT and placing in QT. 6 weeks is what I QT fish for. I keep a full compliment of meds on hand, a copper product, another parasite and worm product, coral dip, and prime to stabilize the QT in case of rapid amonia and nitrite build up. I keep a biological filter running and that way it is always ready. It is bare bottom with a ceramic coffee mug and a piece of PVC pipe for fish hiding.

I have a 40g breeder tank that I used as a QT(not hospital tank). Worth the money. You can observe your newly acquired fish for a few weeks(minimum of 4 weeks for me) and be sure that they are 100% parasite free before adding to your DT. I treat my newly acquired fish with potassium permanganate for gill flukes and praziquantel for tapeworms as a precautionary measure. Just to play safe. Better safe than sorry. I learned my lesson a while ago not quarantining new fish. The frustration of treating the whole display tank and dealing with the losses. I was also told to put your "least" favorite fish in the QT with the new fish to see if it will get sick from the new fish and vice versa.

Absolutely, definitely worth the money. Without a qt of some sort, plenty of people I know have lost lots of money by accidentally introducing a sick fish into their community. Also, if you ever get a sick or injured fish, you can use your qt as a hospital tank.

Not QTing is the most overlooked and missed step in the hobby IMO..
Why anyone wouldn't do it is still beyond me:confused:
Like shooter ,i learned the hard way too..This was before i knew about forums and internet sites devoted to the hobby..

Let me say this and I do not want to offend anyone. Regardless of what your LFS tells you, no LFS can afford to QT fish long enoeph. What I have found is even the most reputable LFS will only hold stock in QT 2 weeks and they will tell you that is what they do. If a LFS tells you they QT all their stock they are not telling you the WHOLE truth!

Well then it's settled I will definitely set up a quarantine tank. The only question now is what size. Like I said I want to setup a 75 gallon African cichlid tank. Would you all recommend a 20 gallon qt tank or a 10 gallon? Also would you recommend having a qt running constantly or just when I need it and just keeping a filter in the Display tank that I can move when I need it, and obviously throwing away when done.

Well then it's settled I will definitely set up a quarantine tank. The only question now is what size. Like I said I want to setup a 75 gallon African cichlid tank. Would you all recommend a 20 gallon qt tank or a 10 gallon? Also would you recommend having a qt running constantly or just when I need it and just keeping a filter in the Display tank that I can move when I need it, and obviously throwing away when done.

Well I am servicing a 72 bowfront reef tank. I am using a 20 gal long. I don't see needing bigger but smaller would limit me I think as many marine fish need ample room to move about and be happy.

As to the filter I had a HOB with a biowheel on hand so that is what I am using. I plan on keeping it running all the time. It is not needed all the time but I can toss in a small damsel and keep it going without a problem. If I change my mind I will toss a sponge into my display tanks sump and move it over to the HOB when needed.

I'd go with the 20 it gives you more latitude. I keep mine going al the time with 4 striped damsels that way I don't have to worry about cycling it each time.

Should quarantined fish be treated with a certain medication as a precaution while in the QT even if there aren't any noticeable problems.

Should quarantined fish be treated with a certain medication as a precaution while in the QT even if there aren't any noticeable problems.

There are two very apposing views on this subject. A passive approach says wait until the fish present symptoms and then treat. The idea is that any med damages fish internally to some extent, such as copper based meds, and should only be used if needed.

The second approach is a proactive one and says treat fish for common parasites and worms such as flukes and not risk the main tank.

What I do and I am no expert so listen to others and make a decision:

I use ParaGuard as a dip when introducing to QT tank. One week later if no symptoms present themselves I treat with PraziPro for worm type infestation. Note paraguard has no independent studies that I have found that say it cures anything but SeaChem is a reputable company and their Copper based Cupremine is widely used for marine Ich.

I never will use Copper based meds UNLESS symtoms are evident. Better to shorten the life span of the fish potentially than kill it for sure from Marine Ich.

I hold all fish regardless of what LFS says 6 weeks in QT.

Back
Top Bottom