Quarantine Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just learned that I can't leave a tank sitting long without fish because the benficial bacteria can die. How do I manage my QT in that respect?

I generally leave it up and running until I get a new fish or sick fish. Advice please.

Some people just put a little bit of food in the tank so that the bacteria will be fed. And I mean something small like a few small flakes or few brine shrimp. this of course is IMO

I agree with melosu. Thats what I was doing I would just throw a peice of krill/or some brine in there so its spikes some ammonia. But now I just try to keep a Damsel or a molly in there.

I have 16 ozs. of ammonium chloride powder I bought to do a fishless cycle when I set up my 120. I used a fraction of the bottle.

For my QT, once its empty of fish, I plan on using about 1/4 of 1/4 tsp every other day to keep the bio filter going. unlike food, there's no mess with ths stuff.

Cost about $8 bucks I think.

Spin

I was also wondering something... is it OK to have carbon filters in your QT if you are medicating? Or do you just not run the filter when you medicate?

Carbon can strip medications out of the water in short order. I'd leave out the carbon.

I remove the carbon and put just a bunch of plain filter floss in mine when I'm medicating. Then afterwards, I put new carbon in to help remove the medication, along with water change.

I need to start a quarantine tank. Every time I bring home fish from the LFS they bring ick. its like buy two lose three. My main tank is a 55 gallon with emporor 300 HOB filter. The tank is gosh, 6 onths old now, and has 4 giant danis two wags two barbs, a pleca and a bunch of plants.
So what kind of tank makes a good quarantine tank? should I get a 5 gallon kit and use water from the main. then what? I am really sick of killing fish.
TIA
Shaw
ps, I realized a hijacked a saltwater thread, sorry

Yes you did. Bit thats OK. I agree that QT is the way to go. Dont know much about FW but I know you cant go wrong either way if you QT

If the fish you bring home all seem to have ich, I would consider another source.
Other than that, a qt tank (preferably a 10 gallon or bigger) is a must.

This is two of the bigger pet stores. Would a smaller store be a better source in general? I've seen some replys in threads that they don't go to pet smart or petco. I've been alternating so that they dont see how many fish I am killing :cry:

Back
Top Bottom