Question About Basic Lighting for 55g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking for basic lighting for my gf new 55g tank. I was about to order a Coralife T5 fixture when I thought about how I would find replacement bulbs. In the pic, it looks like it contains 2 48inch T-5 bulbs. Bigals doesn't even carry 48" T5s, so where am I suppose to find replacements?

My second consideratino was for the basic 1 bulb All Glass fixture. Cost is about the same, but finding bulbs may be a problem for the T-5.

Which one would you get? This isn't going to be used for live plants.

Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-48"

Our Price: $47.99

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=32853;category_id=1853;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

All-Glass Single Deluxe Strip Light- 48" (Black)

Our Price: $39.99

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23861;category_id=1853;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

I prefer All Glass brand, but it's just a matter of opinion. I just bought the triple tube 48 inch All-Glass Strip and absolutely love it.

I've had nothing but GOOD experiences with All Glass also. But for nearly the same cost, I was trying to figure out if the T-5s would be advantagous.

I'm also factoring in finding replacement bulbs. Usually, when I make an online order, I try to combine a bunch of items to save on shipping. The main places like bigalsonline and drsftostersmith don't carry 48" T-5 bulbs. I did find a couple places that sell 48" T-5s, but shipping was about $20.

Now I'm considering buying two 24" fixtures because the bulbs are readily available. I could find 24" bulbs in the lfs if I had to...

Here are my options:

1. Coralife 48" T-5 fixture and 2 versa-top glass covers = approx. $70

2. All Glass 24" T-8 hood/light fixture combo = approx. $55 (need 2)

3. All Glass 48" T-8 fixture and 2 versa-top glass covers = approx. $70

sorry--i don't know that much about strip lighting--i was able to get replacement pc bulbs at hellolights and thught they might have what you're looking for

I've been through Bigals several times and if I were you, I would get the standard AG double light strip (40w bulbs). They are T-10 or T-12's and very easy to replace with standard fixtures. I think it's running around $78.00 I believe.

Much better than trying to find bulbs that are hard to replace IMO.

BTW, I have this strip light. :)

I like option 3. One thing that I have noticed with my 55 gal tank that has the two strips is that you can tell that there is a break in the lighting. When I put on the single 48 in strip, you didn't see the break in light.

Looks like I'll prob. go with option 3 then. According to drsfostersmith, I guess these AGA fixtures take either T8, T10 or T12...

Anyone ever order a 48" bulb through the mail? How do they ship that???

Coralife just recently started making these t-5 fixtures, so bigal is probably waiting until people will need to be replacing the bulbs before they buy a bunch of them.

I ordered my 48 inch strip and lights from Big Al's. The All Glass strips already have a reflector built in so you don't have to buy one seperate. When I ordered mine the guy told me that they weren't so I ordered one. Then when it came, there was one already installed. They ship it in a big box, about 52 inches in length wrapped tight with bubble wrap. None of mine were broken or even cracked. It shipped well.

T-5 bulbs seem to be more expensive. I'd like to get the coralife because I read everywhere that T-5s were better due to their reflectors.

But since this tank is not planned to be planted, a basic light will do. Does anyone know if the 1 bulb AGA fixture comes with the nice reflectors?

Fishyfanatic , yours is the double right? Wondering if the single has the same reflector...

That's a pretty long box. I guess if you order a bulb separately, they'd still have to package it in a similarly long box without charging you extra.

I have the triple tube strip. It has a nice reflector in it. I believe that they all do. Our old strip was a single tube All Glass strip and it had the reflector in it. They didn't charge extra when we bought the strip and bulbs. It doesn't weigh much so it's cheap on their part to ship.

Back
Top Bottom