Question about coralife strip lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am finally getting around to ordering lighting for my tanks. I was looking at the Coralife PC fixtures, but I noticed that mounting legs were sold as an optional item. My question is, what purpose do they serve? I would have just set the fixture on the glass (or acrylic in the case of my 29 gal) as I have with the stock light. Are these needed to lift the unit above the surface of the tank for heat purposes?
Thanks,
Chris

Coralife doesn't recommend putting the fixture directly on a glass top, in case the top breaks, the light would electrocute teh entire tank, and maybe yourself. The heat will warp your acrylic lid too most likely.

I found I got better growth running my tanks open top, so the mounting legs make that possible. I have the cheap $7 legs...not the more expensive swing-open brackets they started selling.

I like em but they aren't for every tank/situation.

i've been looking at coralife pc fixtures as well and i will not buy one without buying those adjustable legs. not only will the fixture sit above the water but it can be flipped up 90 degrees for maintenance. i also get better plant growth with open topped tanks just like malkore.

Back
Top Bottom