Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Question about Diatom Filters

I have problem with green water and am looking for ways to fight it. Browsing through some of topics, I have read that daitom filter will do the job. Does anyone have experience with these filters?

72g bowfront with Emperor 400:
Gouramis: 1 Opaline, 1 Gold, 1 Dwarf
Bolivian Ram, German Blue Ram, Kribensis
1 Black and 1 Lyretail Mollies, Swordtail
Purple Spotted Gudgeon, Pictus Cat
Gold Nugget Pleco, Rainbow Shark, Silver Dollar
6 Harlequin Rasboras, 6 Long-Finned Zebra Danios, 3 Cardinal Tetras
Plants: Banana plant
newhobbist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The Vortex filters are supposed to be very good, but they require a lot of maintenance and are tricky to get started. i imagine people get used to it, as i've heard others praise them on this board.

There are also easier-to-use types that you just plug in and turn on. The Whisper Diatomagic is the least expensive of these, but it is quite large and must hang INSIDE the tank while it is working. The System I Pressure Filter is the most expensive, but it hangs on the back of the tank like any other filter and is easier as a result.

joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
55, 30, 30, 20, 10, and 10-gal. freshwater tropical tanks
fearlessfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read your other post Vladimir and this is a good discussion.

I'm never going to imply that my way is the only way, or 100% correct. I've been keeping aquariums for years and I won't be without a diatom filter for several reasons. The two best things about it are that it filters particulate matter out of the water column down to 1 micron. That includes single cell algae and other nasties. I also find that it's quite mobile and I can do several tanks in a morning or evening. It simply has become part of my water routine.

The big drawback is that it's a pain to start, and I hate cleaning it. Fearlessfish is correct about gaining experience with it. It takes some getting used to so as not to dump a massive amount of diatom powder into the tank. It can be tempermental and all of a sudden will begin to suck air. The hoses are a pain to keep unkinked too.

Those are my complaints with it. That being said, it's a valuable tool for the serious aquarist. JMO
BrianNY is offline   Reply With Quote

diatom, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com