Question about Emperor 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am considering the Emperor 400 filter, but have a few reservations and questions.

First of all, it is HUGE! (reservation)

I have a 40 gallon tank that is 21" deep and plan on using the extension tube. In doing this, will it slow the rate down?

I know this filter is overkill for a 40 gallon tank, but is it BAD?? It couldn't hurt, right?

Thanks,
Todd

As long as the outflow isn't knocking your fish into the glass LOL the more filtering the better. Shouldn't slow things down too measurably if you use the extension tube, as long as you don't put any bends in it. I have one on my 55g and I lurve it.

I have the 280 and it's a great filter. I know some folks aren't big on Bio-Wheels, but it really works. Also the Emperor have a media compartment which is really handy. I think the 280 is good for tanks up to 45gal. If you are going to get a power filter then I would definitly reccommend either the Emperor 280 or 400.

The 280 is labeled as "up to 55 gal", I just bought a 400 myself for my 55 gal. it was only 37.99 at bigalsonline.com Check it out

The extension tube won't slow your filter down any. The flow on the Emperors is adjustable anyway so you can set it anywhere you want it. You'll like the 400...it's a great filter and will give you years of service.

It will slow it down if it has to draw water over the water line for any amount of distance. But like most people our water levels are to the top where the filter hangs over. Just thought I would add that I was thinking of setting up a half water half soil tank and use the emperor to make a waterfall type thing down some homade rock.

What wonderful feedback and advice - THANKS! :)

So, once I get the Emperor 400, how long should it run on my existing tank before I can remove the existing filter (in other words - since my tank is all cycled now with bacteria and what-not - how long till the bio-wheel is active and working?)

Thanks to all!

Todd

That's a ood question, hadn't thought about that yet. Since I won't get mine until Monday it hadn't occured to me about my existing setup.

justmy2cents said:
The 280 is labeled as "up to 55 gal", I just bought a 400 myself for my 55 gal. it was only 37.99 at bigalsonline.com Check it out

Thanks for the info. I just went there and bought one - that is an excellent price! It's $76.99 at PetCo - you just saved me like $30 bucks!

JamesMJ2 said:
Run the Emp. 400 until the Bio-Wheel on it gets a brownish tint to it. Takes about 1-2 weeks.

EEEK!! 1 to 2 weeks!! I don't really have the room for both filters on my tank ( . . . begins to wonder if the Emperor 400 was a mistake . . .)

I guess if I think about it, there is room . . . it will just be a bit crouded for a few weeks.

What if I poured some of that Bio-Spira right onto the bio wheels once I get it up and running . . . would that speed things up?

Thanks for the advice

Todd

You could do that. How established is your tank? You can just take the media out of your current and put it into the Emp. 400. Then you will have established bacteria in that filter while the bio wheel gets colonized. Also if you have a mature gravel bed then the bacteria there can take up any ammonia/nitrite slack while you get your new filter colonized.

The tank was setup a few weeks ago, but the first fish were not added until this past Sunday - so the tank is only a few days old, but I started it with Bio-Spira.

The tank used to be a saltwater tank, so the filter I have now is one of those huge AquaClear Pro wet/dry filters with the pre-filter tanks. The media is not transferable. I'm going to store it in the basement until I startup saltwater again.

What about running the Emperor 400 with the White Diamond Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals?? Or would that just keep ammonia from ever getting processed at all.

Thanks to all for your help and thoughts. . . .
Todd

toddwess said:
justmy2cents said:

Thanks for the info. I just went there and bought one - that is an excellent price! It's $76.99 at PetCo - you just saved me like $30 bucks!

Yea, I just wished I'd seen it before I paid 50 bux for a penguin 330. As it is I'm getting a emporer 400 and using the 330 as backup.

Yes you are right on. You can bring the ammonia down with that stuff if it gets to high but let the ammonia build a little and cycle.

With the tank being that new, you aren't really going to lose much by switching filters at this point. Never used Bio-Spira, so I don't know exactly how that figures into the mix. Can you add more with the new filter? I would use water changes to bring the ammonia down rather than the crystals.

Back
Top Bottom