Question about lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my 55 gal FW setup for 2 years now and have never changed the fluroescent light bulbs (at least i think they are fluroesecent- that take a few seconds, flicker, and then come on)

They came with my set-up when I bought it. If I remember correctly, the hoods and lights were expen$ive. I thought though, that I heard before that when your lights get "old" you should change them because they wear out and give off the wrong kind of light. Is this true? Why are there so many different kinds of lights? I dont have any live plants, but I'd like to give my aquarium the best lighting that doesnt promote algae at a reasonable cost. Suggestions?

I just checked and the light bulb itself says "Eclipse Natural Daylight made for Marineland"...

Most bulbs have a "life", it's usually printed on the boxes somewhere, typically 5000 or 10000 hours, after that they are ineffective, I know PowerGlo bulbs are recommended replaced every 6 Months, but every year should be fine (better to stagger the lights, so every 6 months you replace 1 bulb)

Your bulbs are probably due to be changed, but if your plants? get daylight, then you probably wouldn't need to. (since the bulbs are just there for you more then the fish.

I use 2 x PowerGlo here, and 1 Floral bulb which I'm not too impressed with..

Also, make sure if you're replacing the bulbs you match the T size (some are T8, others are T10 or T12)

I dont have any plants. But I did notice that lately I cannot defeat an algae problem. My lights are on timer, so I reduced the amount of light by 1/2. Then I felt guilty that the lights were never on for the fish so I upped it a little. The tank is no where near direct sun or a window. I figured maybe the lights were "worn" and causing algae to grow? Is that feasable?

anything is possible I imagine, (I can't give you a definate answer on that, without plants there is no competition for the nutrients, algae get's what it wants and that only escalates.)

The AquaGlo model is pretty cheap and doesn't do much for algae or other vegitation, I would recommend those for your situation, but perhaps someone whos had old lights would know best..

Is your light one 48 incher or 2 24 inchers. Either way, you can get daylight type bulbs at your local home center . They are much cheaper than the LFS. Just make sure you get the same size and wattage. Algae will tend to grow more in brighter light, but good water chemistry will control it(low nitrates and phosfates)

Back
Top Bottom