Question about my Lighting System and my hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

immortial8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings,
I currently have an Aqua-Systems PL-JG3 (DX) on a 30 gal. bow front. Now, I have 3 fish in there at present, 2 inverts, and well 2 gator snails. The question I have is.....What type of top can I use under my lighting system to prevent my fish or inverts from leaving the tank..............

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :D :D :D
Depending on the fish, I suggest going topless. Just elevate your light above the tank and leave it open. Much better gas exchange.

Reponse to topless

Hey Iando,

Well currently I have a Hippo Tang, Domino Damsel, and Heniochus. I just got the tanklike a month ago and I almost know all there is to know about since I research things to death. Now, it is not really the fish I am concerned about getting out. I have two cleaner shrimp and two gator snails that I just purchased yesterday. Since there is a build up of the brown alge, my research lead me to believe that Gator snails are really good for cleaning out the insides of the tank. So for my 30gal. I went and got two cleaners and two gator snails. I would like not to find them hanging out on my couch when I wake up in the morning. ;8o)~

The cleaners should be fine. Your fish list does not include any jumpers either. I am cocerned about the regal and the heni in a 30gal system. Both these fish actually require a tank of at least three times that size. Even if they are small fish, they will not do well in a 30gal. Sorry.

re: Question

OK. Well I have to tell you. Since I only have three fish is the 30gal. they all seem to be fine. The Heni and the Damsel are my favorite they have almost human traits if you watch them interact. As far as the Tang, well as I stated it was not my tank to begin with. I personally can not stand the decor of the tank and my hippo tank unforchantly came to me a little busted up with scrapes and what not. It seems he was rubbing against this decor which consists of 3 rocks. 1 live rock and 1 fake tall pink shell from Petco. So in doing my research I thought maybe since the Tang is septable to marine ICH that could be the problem. I have tried everything from leaving the lights off in the tank for a couple of weeks, to PREVENT ICH (a product from petco) Now my Demsel almost I noticed was scraping when I first got them and I am proud to say he is in great shape now. Heni is not only a character is never had any issues. Just the hippo seems to once in a blue moon give a scrape to the nasty decor that in habits my tank. Sorry so long and thank you for your insight. I was told the tank with the three inhabits is about 5 to 6 months old.

Steve

A friend of mine said that since they are parasites leaving the lights off some how kills them lol i don't know any better and well it worked for him ........As far as finding a new home for them soon....I am finding out this hobby is not to cheap...when you go to stores they are like every other store and just try to sell you products......i mean this product Prevent-ICH that i purchased turned my entire tank dark.....I do have a question though in regards to brown algea......Is brown algea harmful to the fish in any way?

Back
Top Bottom