Question about plumbing... how can I route my hoses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gnarls Gnarlington

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a canister and the instructions say that I can have some slack but I should not have any loops or sags.

I don't know why.

I don't have enough space for a heater and in-line CO2 if I run the tubing straight from the canister to the bank.

(See attachment)

Do you see a reason why I can't or shouldn't do this? (Have the tube come out from the top of the canister, go down and then back up).

The heater has to be upright (it can't lay on it's side because that would be too easy).

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 96
Having longer tubing and bends up then down will reduce the flow rate of the canister, I recommend a straight shot down for better performance.

The impeller doesn't have enough power to move the water up and down like that. They even have limitations on the total rise of the ins/outs.

You could always cut the tubing per your drawing and try it and if it doesn't work, then shorten them to eliminate the loop. I've also heard you need to get extra fluval hose ends to install the inline heater, since the ribbed tubing won't seal without them.

Back
Top Bottom