Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normalnot1 View Post
How did I get smilies in that?

. .8
;(
Sorry bout that! I'm testing! Anyone know all of them? I guess my iPhone ones won't work, huh?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normalnot1 View Post
I hear you there! The goldfish (feeder fish for $.28) was my idea after every fish I bought died for various reasons. The Shabunkin is my daughters, while she is working out of town for the summer. She's 19 and insists she's going to have a pond at a house she has decided she will get when she gets back. I wish she hadn't gotten it as she is a little unrealistic about her plans.
As for changing the polyfill often? No problem! I'm home all the time, (disabled) and have TONS of the stuff. But I will get it so it isn't wrapping the filter cartridge. Hey, do you think it could replace that cartridge in there? It is the kind with carbon in it, but I took the carbon out of it.
Oh, that's another question. I got a bunch of used carbon from a friend (no idea what kind of tank he had not how well it was kept). Can I do something to that carbon to make it good again? Safe to use? I frankly have WAY more time than money, so I'd rather not have to buy that when I have some, you know? I read someplace on here you could re activate it in the oven. I live in AZ, so outdoors can be my oven!

So thank you everyone! You have been most helpful.
The carbon, I don't honestly know if it can be re-charged. I THINK I read something about it but i'm not sure. You only really need carbon for odours and med removal. It's a pretty expensive media to run constantly. If you have room in the filter, I would look into Seachem Purigen. It does everything that you are using the carbon for. It really makes your water sparkle and helps with Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. I know your on a tight budget(like myself!!), this stuff is about $10 but it can be recharged numerous times in bleach(). It could/should last 2+yrs.
I'm not familiar with your filter. It's not a good idea to ditch the cartridge, as this contains your BB. Does the cartridge contain a sponge. You shouldn't rely on your floss for BB, your replacing it before the BB has a chance to grow on it. Does it have a foam sponge, bio-wheel. Can you post a picture of it or a link to a picture???

Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

It has none of those things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3991334244.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	178260

This is it, but this has an added chunk of what appears to be polyfill as a baffle. I have in flack added polyfill.
I'd get a better filter, but I'm going to wait until a new tank becomes available...somewhere. I know it's gonna happen, cause I KNOW it's gonna happen that a bigger better tank is gonna show up, for cheap!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

That's more of a sponge/foam than polyfill. Polyfill is loose, not in a sheet. That seems to be a little more coarse than your typical sponge.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes, but that is not my actual filter. That pic came from an Internet photo I found. So, THAT part I don't have. There is the Blue cartridge w/carbon, although I took the carbon out. Then, this white very course. ..sponge is the wrong word for it, so I'll call it a thing. Then I have added polyfil, in a sheet between the blue cartridge and the white thing.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Arrange it so the polyfil is the last piece of media that the water goes through before re-entering the tank.....
Old 06-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

You always want to add conditioner for the full water volume. So even if you're doing a PWC, you still want to add 1ml
Old 06-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravereaper0 View Post
You always want to add conditioner for the full water volume. So even if you're doing a PWC, you still want to add 1ml
Really?!? Wow. Ok, I thought I had to break the 1 ml into 10!
Thank you very much!
Not that I doubt you at all, but do you others agree with that?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:46 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Arrange it so the polyfil is the last piece of media that the water goes through before re-entering the tank.....
Ok, I'll see what I can do there!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably don't want a feeder goldfish in that tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com