Question about polyfil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, great! Thank you for your response.

The polyfill I have is all brand new. I got a big bag of oddly cut pieces that are the cuttings from making quilts. All new. I got this at a yard sale. I also got a sheet of it at another yard sale, also new.
But exactly how should I use it? I wrapped the filter insert with a piece, front and back, then stuffed the bits that were sticking out some just down inside the filter. I was truly amazed with how quickly the water cleared after I did my pwc, while taking out half the decor and adding a new bubble wand. I also vacuumed. But within, I don't know, 15 mins or so the water was sparkling! I'm hoping that's because of the polyfill.
So, how do you recommend I put it to use? Should it replace the filter cartridge?
As for the intake tube, I think it'll be fine.
I'm gonna post another photo. See what you think.

I turned the led's off on the bubble wall as they drown out the tank in photos. What does everyone think? Any suggestions for rearrangement or anything?
Also, now that the cycle is done, can I put more fish in it? Maybe some Neons? I want some color, and I really like neons. But I killed 5 of them before I learned about the cycle.
Oh! Almost forgot!
I got some Prime, as folks recommended. Is it REALLY 1 ml in a 10 gal tank?how do you measure out 1 ml, accurately? How do I measure out less than 1 ml when I do a PWC?
Good Lord! I have a lot of question! Sorry bout that! :)

It has to be 100% polyfill because it could have chemicals in it. Buy It new cost me 5.50usd for a bag that could make 2 1/2 fluffy pillows

Also your tank could use a but more water btw looks low full it up padded the black rim

Probably don't want a feeder goldfish in that tank

In my tank? Yeah. I didn't really want it. Heck, I REALLY don't want the Shabunkin Koi Goldfish (or whatever it is). But THAT one is my daughters that I'm fish sitting. I'm hoping when she comes back, I can give her back her fish AND Mr Mustashio, the feeder goldfish. (He has a black line where a mustache would be!) I felt like Dotty needed a friend, but all the fish I put in died. Didn't realize about cycling and stuff, plus had ICH go around. So I decided to buy a few 28c fish. All buy Mr M died.
As soon as she takes her fish, I want neons and swordtails. I MIGHT want some white cloud minnows to, but not sure.

Depending on whether the new water is treated before being added. If so then the OP would simply treat for the volume of water being added.
+1...
As was suggested earlier, get a 1ml syringe. I get mine free from my local vets. If your doing a 50% water change, just add .5ml to the bucket of new water. At that rate, a 250ml bottle could last you around 10yrs!!!!. Not sure if there's an expiry date on it, I can't see one on mine....

In my tank? Yeah. I didn't really want it. Heck, I REALLY don't want the Shabunkin Koi Goldfish (or whatever it is). But THAT one is my daughters that I'm fish sitting. I'm hoping when she comes back, I can give her back her fish AND Mr Mustashio, the feeder goldfish. (He has a black line where a mustache would be!) I felt like Dotty needed a friend, but all the fish I put in died. Didn't realize about cycling and stuff, plus had ICH go around. So I decided to buy a few 28c fish. All buy Mr M died.
As soon as she takes her fish, I want neons and swordtails. I MIGHT want some white cloud minnows to, but not sure.

It's a small tank creates problems feeder gold fish can have Diseases and the koi goldfish both of which see too big for that tank it looks like only 10 or 20 forgot what was said earlier.

Anyways the tank will always be dirty with them in it .

It is a 10 gal tank, though I am actively looking for a larger tank that will fit on the larger stand that I found. But, I have to find this larger tank for free or very very cheap.
So far, both the Shabunkin and the feeder goldfish, (Dotty and Mr. Mustachio) are small, though they are growing fast. They are each 1.5" long.

Ok, so what IS the consensus? I use a combo of RO water and tap water, which IS NOT treated (private well). I mix about 50/50, simply because the well is extremely alkaline and the RO very acid. As it is I run a highish ph, like 8.4. When I do, say a 50% water change, do I treat each gallon that I pour in with .10 ml of Prime? Or do I put the water in, then give the whole tank 1 ml?

Oh hey, while I'm at it. Why, with a ten gallon tank does it seem that after removing what looks like 50% of the water, do I only fill my 1 gal jug about 3 times, maybe, to refill the tank? Does the gravel and stuff take that much space? If so, do you dose things (meds or Prime etc) at the tank size, or actual volume of water, or is it not that exacting?

Sorry for so many possibly stupid questions.

Get on the local craigslist and look for used tank. I seen 100+ gallon tanks go for 50 bucks. Obviously you're not looking for one that size (or maybe you are) but best bet is that's where you'll find cheap tanks.
Your water pH is pretty high, not a real problem for goldies, but anything else will have a problem with that. Driftwood helps lower the pH, or you can get a bottle of pH buffer at the LFS.
As far as treating the water, I myself just dose the whole tank and pour the water straight into the tank from the faucet with a hose.
If you're treating the water before you pour it in then you can just dose the amount in your bucket. That's just more work for me that I don't want to do, but everyone has their own way of doing it, do what works for you.

Ok, great! Thank you for your response.

The polyfill I have is all brand new. I got a big bag of oddly cut pieces that are the cuttings from making quilts. All new. I got this at a yard sale. I also got a sheet of it at another yard sale, also new.
But exactly how should I use it? I wrapped the filter insert with a piece, front and back, then stuffed the bits that were sticking out some just down inside the filter. I was truly amazed with how quickly the water cleared after I did my pwc, while taking out half the decor and adding a new bubble wand. I also vacuumed. But within, I don't know, 15 mins or so the water was sparkling! I'm hoping that's because of the polyfill.
So, how do you recommend I put it to use? Should it replace the filter cartridge?
As for the intake tube, I think it'll be fine.
I'm gonna post another photo. See what you think.

I turned the led's off on the bubble wall as they drown out the tank in photos. What does everyone think? Any suggestions for rearrangement or anything?
Also, now that the cycle is done, can I put more fish in it? Maybe some Neons? I want some color, and I really like neons. But I killed 5 of them before I learned about the cycle.
Oh! Almost forgot!
I got some Prime, as folks recommended. Is it REALLY 1 ml in a 10 gal tank?how do you measure out 1 ml, accurately? How do I measure out less than 1 ml when I do a PWC?
Good Lord! I have a lot of question! Sorry bout that! :)

I just do 2-3 drops per gallon of water from a 5ml medicines doser from the walgreens pharmachy.

Back
Top Bottom