Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
question about power heads

I have a 55 g reef set up, just bought 2 new power heads for water movement and current. My question is whether or not to run the airline to them. My LFS said no need to, but I want to make sure i'm introducing enough oxygen.

reefvettech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I believe (someone please correct me if wrong as i am still a little new) that if you want to avoid the small air bubbles by connecting the tube you could point one or both of the PH's to break the water surface and that would introduce enough o2 into the tank. I am not sure if combined flow rate of the pumps have anything to do with o2 introduction but from my reading your total GPH of the PH's should be at least 10x your tank size (I think maybe as high as 20x). I am sure someone will tell you different if I am wrong). Hope this helps.

65 gal reef
2 PC's 192W each , 20 gal sump/fuge
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Don't do this. Introducing bubbles like this can potentially do very negative things to your PH and ORP. There is no need to use the 'venturi' aeration with a marine tank that has proper water movement. Unless your 2 powerheads are *way* undersized they should do the job nice in a 55g. There are lots of articles online that discuss gas exchange you may want to check into. One of the most common suggestions is to remove the top from your tank if you use one. If I get a chance I will post a couple links.

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks so much for the advice, I think I am just going to try it without and see how it goes. :P
reefvettech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yeah I dont have any on mine
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

As PC said, if you have a glass or other top on your tank remove it. You also want to make sure that the surface of the water in the tank is rippled not smooth. The surface is where the gas exchange takes place. If the surface is smooth point a powerhead or two slightly towards the surface to break the surface tension and create a rippled effect.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com