Question about Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90gal fish only with Live Rock tank, I have 2 Eheim 2217 canister filters and a Coralife 12x turbo-twist UV sterilizer. Now I want to add a protein skimmer, but I can't hang it from my tank, since I don't have a sump I don't know if I could get one. I do not want to use a submergible skimmer if I could avoid it.

Can I have a Protein Skimmer working from the cabinet under my tank? Where I could run the tubes to the tank or does it have to be even with the water level?

Can anyone post a website or direct me to any articles on Protein Skimmers?

Thank you for your advice

You really need either a sump or a HOB skimmer. The skimmer is not a sealed unit like a canister, it needs to be at a specific depth/pressure level. You could do a really small sump, just a bit larger than the skimmer. It would need two chambers, one at a constant water level for the skimmer, and one for the pump/evaporation tolerance.

Some people have put in-sump skimmers in the aquarium itself, but that gets a bit difficult to hide.

DIY Skimmer directions with explanations of how a skimmer works: http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/skimmer101.htm

Thank you for your reply, I am looking into converting my canisters to a sump system since I dont have any fish in the tank at the moment, had a wipe out 3 weeks ago. So I have about 4 more weeks before I begin to add fish, I hope I find one by then.
Thanks Again for your help

Back
Top Bottom