Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
question about rated light wattage

I have a perfect-a-lite hood that came with my aquarium. The hood came with a 20W light for my 33 gal tank.

I've decided I want live plants in my tank and so im thinking ill have to increase the wattage to something like 75W?

Anyway, there is a sticker on the back that says not to exceed 20W. But if I were to replace the ballast thing and the light with the higher rated wattage would that be OK? or do i have to go purchase a whole new light hood fixture? 8O

Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
You can certainly upgrade the ballast. Problem is, you will not find flourescent bulbs with enough wattage at that length. AH-supply has retro fit kits and accessories that you could use to switch over to compact flourescents.

Jchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my LFS aquarium services should have the light seen here:

Its in this category called VHO very high output. Do you think I would be able to use this kind of light?

Im assuming my light tube is 24", when i measure it its more like 23".
Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
You can get a 24" high output T-5 flourescent double tube 48 watt fixture. They run cooler than anything and are very efficient. I've got one on order now. You can use it for moderate light requirement plants.
piranha is offline   Reply With Quote

light, wattage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com