Question about Salifert Calcium Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Purchased a Salifert Ca test kit. Just wanted to confirm that I am doing this correctly.

In aspirating the Ca-3 reagent, there was a huge air bubble under the pistons plunger (the liquid level was ~0.7 when the piston plunger was @ 1.0). I know that this could possibly be the air in the attached nozzle (just checking if the #'s were normal).

I went through the test a little fast as nothing was happening every time I squeezed in a few drops. The jist of it is that I was almost to the end of the reagent in the syringe before the color changed.

1. If I am reading the numbers correctly (at least what I think is correct), I have really low calcium levels.

2. If I am reading them inversely, then I have really high levels.

I believe the first scenarios is correct (I have low calcium levels).

I will try another test and be a little more precise & patient.

Let me know if #1 or #2 is the correct interpretation for the injection of almost 1.0 ml of Ca-3 reagent.

The results of the 2nd test were 0.21 ml which would equate to a Ca level of ~110 ppm.

Could this be the case of a high evaporation rate (lots of topping off ~ 5-10 gallons per week)?

There is supposed to be an air bubble, as the instructions clearly state.
I don't know what chart you're reading but on the Salifert Ca test chart a .21 would equate to 395ppm of Ca which is a normal range (350-420)

Let me reiterate.

I am asking if the approximate size of the air bubble is normal. Not if there should be an air bubble.

Also, I may not have been clear. I was taking the value on the syringe and subtracting it from the total of 1.0 ml, thus: 1.0 ml - 0.21ml (the syringe final position) = 0.78 ml which equated to ~110 ppm on the supplied chart.

By your advice, I am assuming that I should not subtract from the starting amount of 1.0 ml and apply the syringe value directly to the chart.

Am I understanding things correctly?

Thanks for the help.

The air bubble size is about the correct amount and yes, you read the number directly off the syringe as the instructions state.
They also state that you can subract the reading from 1 and multiply by 500, again giving you a reading of 395ppm. (1-.21=.79), .79*500=395.
Either way you do it your calcium is level is spot on (unless you have a lot of corals).

Back
Top Bottom