Question about tank cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just installed an acrylic tank cover, to replace my glass one. I needed to custom cut it to fit my sump return and overflow. Is there anything I should worry about?

if it completely encloses the top, you'll have to worry about poor gas exchange at the surface which could affect your ph. if you have plenty of open space on the back, you wont have to worry that much about it.

I wouldn't worry about it getting too hot at all. Warping on the other hand depends on the thickness of it. To combat that I would suggest cutting it across the middle and put a joint in there so you can create like a door. Now I don't know if this is doable with the shape or whatever but it's like the glass ones you buy. Just a thought

Ya it's pretty thin. My problem is I got x2, 24" or 28"(whichever it is)lighs on my 46 gal bow tank. They are not long enough to use the mounts, so having a cover is really all I can think of. The back has maybe 3" opening, hopefully that's enough for gas exchange. At least I know acrylic is safe to use. Really what bugged me out was reading an artical about plexyglass, how it warps to low heat and yellows. I also just read on the sticker of the piece of acrylic they have a 10 year non-yellow garentee, so I should be good.

Send me a PM this evening so I can remember to send you pics of my tank cover suggestion for you. Polypropelene netting construction you might like.

I dont know how well you can see it, the piece of acrylic. I think it is too thin. Its only temporary anyway, im planing on getting a new light soon. One that reaches from side to side, a little more wattage to. I posted another thread about it in general hardware, trying do decide between T5 HO and PC. The PC has higher watage but fewer bulbs. Once I get the light hopefully the cover wont be needed.

A t5 with the propre reflectors has more light reaching the tank than PCs.
I would also look into hanging a light fixture instead of usng the legs.

PM ray tonight for some of this extra netting.

Ray, got enough left for my 72x18 tank? PM me if you do.

Sorry, Im not sure what PM means as stupid as it may sound. What do I got to do?

PM=Private message

Click on the user and you'll see the drop downs with sending a PM as an option.

CMOR - Got plenty left. PM a comin'

Ya, I got new lights so I actually took the tank cover off. It worked good while I had it (the piece of acrylic) though it did warp a little. Mainly where the lights were putting the most pressure. It flattened back out a few days after I took it off, if I need it I'm keeping it as backup if I need it for some reason. The seeling above my tank is at a horrable angle (matches my roof) so hanging them would be a little difficult. The studs are in a bad spot to, just a little too far foreward. Is there something wrong with using the leg stands?

Back
Top Bottom