Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

it was based on the t12 or t10 (not much difference) fluorescent bulb.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
There are way too many options (CF, PC, T5, MH) and no direct correlations to decide on what a given WPG recommendation should be. In a FOWLR, it won't really matter. If you want to go reef Inferno (and everyone besides MG does), it's best to research type and spectrum now, save up and get the one you will ultimately want / need for the animals you want to keep. Upgrades get expensive! Trust me! lol

Now lumens and reflectivity are very relevant.

Did I mention that I HATE lighting and math?
Do you have to use MH or can achieve the same results with T-5HO or t-12VHO?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So what your saying is i can use a ten watt bulb as long as the spectrum is correct?
with the wrong spectrum no how many watts there is would be irrelevant. is what i got from HN post. dont know sw so i can only talk about basics.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
So what your saying is i can use a ten watt bulb as long as the spectrum is correct?
Yes. A 10W 10K bulb will grow any coral you want. One inch tall in a 2 inch tall 3G tank. The point is that there is more to consider than a simple WPG formula.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
There are way too many options (CF, PC, T5, MH) and no direct correlations to decide on what a given WPG recommendation should be. In a FOWLR, it won't really matter. If you want to go reef Inferno (and everyone besides MG does), it's best to research type and spectrum now, save up and get the one you will ultimately want / need for the animals you want to keep. Upgrades get expensive! Trust me! lol

Now lumens and reflectivity are very relevant.

Did I mention that I HATE lighting and math?
This is why I'm asking so i can only do this one time. I will build it with all the necessary flexibility needed, but i can't do so until i get the answers I'm seeking.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do you have to use MH or can achieve the same results with T-5HO or t-12VHO?
You don't have to use anything specific. There are a thousand different variables and therefor as many possible solutions. What exact application are you asking about? That will narrow down the answers a little maybe.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamer20o0 View Post
with the wrong spectrum no how many watts there is would be irrelevant. is what i got from HN post. dont know sw so i can only talk about basics.
If wattage doesn't matter then i can get a 50 watt spectrum correct lamp???? That's insanity and most definitely not correct, it's combination of both not one being more important then the other.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If wattage doesn't matter then i can get a 50 watt spectrum correct lamp???? That's insanity and most definitely not correct, it's combination of both not one being more important then the other.
watts is a measure of how much energy is used has nothing to do about how much light its putting out.

thats why you can have the same watts but depending on what kind and how good of reflectors have different amount of light into the tank.

T5ho>CF>T8>t12
Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok right now forget spectrum was even mentioned. what type of tank do you want to eventually keep?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yes. A 10W 10K bulb will grow any coral you want. One inch tall in a 2 inch tall 3G tank. The point is that there is more to consider than a simple WPG formula.
If I'm not mistaken the question was about what type of wattage the wattage per gallon formula follows (Fluorescent or Incandescent). By the way, this is going to be built for a 120 gal Tank, i don't think the 10 watt bulb will work to well in this application.

Tags
watts, watts per gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com